Two Paph. appletonianums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chien

Reaction score
25052166872_1070dc40f8_b.jpg

25810654281_684035415a_b.jpg

25810682461_6163478bd2_b.jpg

Brothers can be very different.
These two plants are from the same pod, but one is very big and another one is very colorful.

Was the parent plants different from eachother?
I just assumed that was more common in crosses, or maybe the parents didnt look the same. Have no idea.

Both are beautiful though :)

Amazing diversity between the two and both are nice. If you could mix the fat petals on one with the great color on the other, you would have something really special.

Same pod means same parent.

Thanks for sharing. Send me the big one :D.

Yeah, I figured that since they are siblings :p
I was wondering if parent was one plant being both parent. Pollen and everything.
If one plant was pollen and other plant pollinated if those plant had the same traits.
(Maybe these dont do selfpollinated either- dont know.)

Lol, just me not knowing enough about the breeding. I assumed they got bred further until desired traits are in almost every offspring. Maybe not in orchids though.

I love the dorsal stripes in the plant on the right and the colour of the lateral sepals in the plant on the left.

Would love a plant with the best features of each.

Both are very nice but I think colouration beats size.

Yeah, I figured that since they are siblings :p
I was wondering if parent was one plant being both parent. Pollen and everything.
Self pollinating seems to be the exception in breeding. If you want more plants with identical traits meristem culture is usual used. O.k. I know it doesn't really work with Paphs.
If one plant was pollen and other plant pollinated if those plant had the same traits. (Maybe these dont do selfpollinated either- dont know.)

Lol, just me not knowing enough about the breeding. I assumed they got bred further until desired traits are in almost every offspring. Maybe not in orchids though.
Even if you cross true species, the traits of the offsprings will be ruled by Mendel's laws. Therefore there will always be difference in the offsprings.

Latest posts

Back