Two of Nick's choice plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As you can see the first photo is of S. Gratrix. The # on the tag is MO2197 so I knew it was not Nick's breeding. I was talking to Hadley yesterday and I asked him about the MO and he stated that it was from a flask of a well known Japanese breeder. He said the name so fast I don't recall the breeder. I do know that last year Hadley bought a large # of flasks from this same gentleman to grow out. The leaf span on this single growth plant is about 10 inches. The colors are intense. It's too bad that the dorsal sepal reflexed somewhat.

PaphSGratrixleucochilumTakayaxbellatulumWhiteStar.jpg

The next photo has the cross # of NT206. This is also a single growth plant. The leaf span on this one is about 8 1/2 inches. There are a couple of good things about this plant. First off, the stem is self supporting. Secondly in the photo you may notice that the left petal doesn't seem to lay as flat as the right one. That is due to a leaf pushing against that side of the flower.

1028SGratrixCrabfacexBellaLuciaTriad.jpg

Both are very lovely! Love the shape and spots! Brachys are so cute!!
Cool that you were able to find out what MO stood for and that Hadley bought a large number of flasks from the same breeder.

Rick, you make me laugh. I'm just now starting to get my head around growing those babies from flask. I went from haveing no little ones to maybe having 300 wee ones. Plus as you know the lack of room is always a problem.

Now that we're on the subject of brachy breeding, I have a question for you. How come it seems as if Norito offers so many flasks, yet doesn't offer any seedlings for sale? The reason I really don't understand this, is that if he isn't growing out lots of those flasks, then how is he progressing with better and more cutting edge breeding?

Last edited:
.... How come it seems as if Norito offers so many flasks, yet doesn't offer any seedlings for sale? The reason I really don't understand this, is that if he isn't growing out lots of those flasks, then how is he progressing with better and more cutting edge breeding?
I'm not Rick but my guess is he has 'arrangements' with others to grow them out & he gets to select the choice plants he wants for breeding? Think about it, might not be a bad deal for either, he gives you __ # of flasks, you provide the space, time ,etc., to grow them out, he comes in picks out the top 10-12, you get the rest!? Is that a dream or is it possible?

Back