two lowiis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
Here are two of my lowiis which flowered this year.
Both are first flowering seedlings. The first was from the Hennis nursery, a selfing of their "Borneo" stud plant. It turned out nicer than I thought, it has a large dorsal and the flower is huge, with 9 cm long petals.

The second is from the cross "Doll" x self, which was quite commonly offered in Germany in the past few years. Great colour, and I like how the spots on the petals are lined up almost in two rows. Size-wise, this one was disappointing with a nat. spread of just 13 cm. Well, it's a small plant.

Best wishes, Carsten

I'm partial to the second one. I'll take the color & I like the way the petals are held (presented). The size could change as the plant matures &/or it end up with a higher flower count. Size isn't everything!

I esp. like the petals (shape and color) of the 2nd one, even if the flowers are smaller. Seems to me that the 2nd pict. was taken without flash, whereas flash was used for the 1st photo, and that brings up different colors!!?? Jean

Seems to me that the 2nd pict. was taken without flash, whereas flash was used for the 1st photo, and that brings up different colors!!?? Jean

I was going to say the same thing. To properly compare colours both pictures should be taken with the same conditions.

Thanks people, for the nice comments.
The second pic is actually close to nature, the flower is quite dark with a nice, plain green dorsal. You're right about the flash, that changed the clour in the first one. It has more of a "normal" lowii coloration.
I like both, each represents a very different type. If I was a breeder, I would keep the first not only for overall size, but for it's proportionally large dorsal.

Best wishes, Carsten

size is not everything, as long as the shape is better! ;) ..
...and the stance - and I'm pretty sure Eric knows this !!! :D
Both are very nice but if I had to choose I would favour the second one.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Last edited:
Now you've got me curious to see pictures of "SIZE, SHAPE, and STANCE".
Just for comparison you know. :rollhappy:

hello, i'm looking for a lowii which looks like the one you have in the second photo. do you know where i could get one????

Back