Two forms of henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
By form I mean shape. One is more of the typical henry and the other is a bit different I think. The second one has more pointy pouch. and the leaves are narrower than the other one. Weird petal action as well, definitely an odd duck. But nothing outside of the natural variation of the species.

Paph. henryanum by paphioman, on Flickr

skinny

Paph. henryanum 'skinny' by paphioman, on Flickr

I like the second one more, seriously, if you lived in the u.s. I'd buy it off you. Great henrys!!

That skinny one is sweet. I know it is outside of what most deem acceptable or awardable but it has far more character. I don't know how many you have to grow to get one like that but it is certainly my choice.

Too bad the petals reflex so hard while the dorsal stands as straight as possible. Strange.

Thank you all.

First one is a keeper. Second one is a compost heaper.

They're both gorgeous little bushes of specimen plants, though.

Thank you. Very interesting. I actually like the form of the second one as well as the first one. Just because its different. But it's really nice to know the opinion of other growers.

The second one looks like a hybrid.

I agree with Dot

I like the first one.

Thanks, I'm curious to know what you think the other parents are?

Though I am 100% sure its a pure henryanum as I know the provenance of the plant.

First one is a keeper. Second one is a compost heaper.

Second one is a keeper. First one is a compost heaper. :evil:

Personally I don't like the shape of the common henryanums. The pouch is way to big and enlarged, the staminodium is to small...
IMO the second one is better because the flower is more balanced even with the twisted petals. I really would love to have it in my collection!

I admire the vigor of both plants. The second flower reminds me of a leopard frog, with its green dorsal and dark spots, full of character. I too appreciate the variety among individuals of a species. Thanks eggshells!

Couldnt have said it better! : )

Thanks, I'm curious to know what you think the other parents are?

Though I am 100% sure its a pure henryanum as I know the provenance of the plant.
I have no idea. It just doesn't look like a straight henryanum to me. I'm not saying it is a hybrid, just that it looks like one.

Skinny is unusual. I really like it for the differences that it shows. Very attractive, the colours and markings are bolder and very eye catching. It exhibits some very interesting characteristics which I think could be used to good advantage. Self it (and send me the seed:p)

Personally I like the second one! Very eye catching IMO. The dorsal color is beautiful! Hope you save me a division! Gee I wish my henryanum would flower!

Latest posts

Back