Tulip Poplar

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, my sister kept as many big old trees as she could. This tree had blown half over in a bad storm. It was cut it or have it possibly kill someone walking by.

I consider the River Birch the dirtiest tree possibly in the world. I have a grove of birch around an upper deck and swimming pool and they begin
spring by dropping tons of pollen, then millions of seeds and then leaves
all summer. I love those birches, but they are an aggravation...far more
than the tulip poplars.

Sycamores are pretty bad, too. In addition to the constantly dropped leaves, the bark peels off in sheets and they produce and shed hard, round balls in late summer. They are beautiful trees and grow very large in this part of the country, especially along a stream or small river. I love seeing them in the woods but would think twice about planting one in my yard.

Nope, never even seen a Eucalypus of any kind that I know of. It doesn't sound like a tree I'd like to have around my pool though. The tree sounds
interesting.

They are everywhere in Southern Ca. They were planted intentionally because they hold up so well in dry conditions (a lot like the cottonwoods in the Southwest). They were some of the biggest trees around in Los Angeles, and growing up I thought they were natives.:eek:

If you are in So Cal and see something that looks bark wise like a sycamore, its most likely a eucalyptus of some kind.

When I was in California years ago I was amazed at how many Eucalypts were there. But even more amazing was what they looked like. So healthy! every leaf clean and perfect unlike ours which are constantly attacked by all kinds of native insects which chew, skeletonize the leaves and bore holes in the trunk.
On the other hand the Californian natives Cupresseus macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress) and Pinus radiata (Monterey pine) grow like monsters here and especially in NZ.

Back