Tulip Poplar

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Often these flowers are way up in the crown of the tree. This year there's some blooms at arms reach. I planted this tree as a 6" seedling sometime around 2000. Not an orchid but a big showy flower.

I love my tulip poplars even though they shade my greenhouse. Did you
know that the flowers are the first flowers that feed hummingbirds during
migration in this part of the U.S.? Of course, you did!

Wow this is such a pretty flower and a mighty tall tree!

This one is still a baby although its now taller than my second story.

There is a forest on the border of TN and NC called Joyce Kilmer with the biggest Poplars in the world. I would guess the trunks are over 10 ft diameter.
The branches have gardens of mosses and ferns growing on them. I bet Tom in Japan would have some good info on these trees.

Very nice. How big is your yard? if you have space, you should plant a Magnolia grandiflora too.

Just shy of an acre. But there are some magnificent old magnolias in Nashville.

If you want to see some awesome magnolias, the best I've seen are in the old parks in the center of Savannah Georgia.

Not sure I'd want a Magnolia in my yard, as they constantly shed leaves which are large, thick, and waxy and don't readily decay. They are beautiful trees, though, and one in bloom is a sight to behold.

I had to take down a 100-foot tall tulip poplar that had been killed by a lightning strike. I'm kind of glad it's gone, as it was the dirtiest thing ever, Bove the greenhouse.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

I always loved the huge tall tulip poplars in Prospect Park when I was growing up. Too tall to have in a city backyard, though. I have a huge M. grandiflora next to my house. Bought it about 18 years ago...an 18" stick. Now its taller than my house. Gorgeous blooms, but those thick leaves are a pain, as they constantly drop. I also have a big leaf magnolia just opening its blooms...maybe I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. It was just a scrawny thing, until the tornado/microburst of 2010. Destroyed it...and it grew back magnificently with all the sudden sunshine in the yard.

On my sister's property, she had a logger take out a tulip poplar. The logger only paid her for bolts over 24 inches in diameter. She got paid for 125 feet of saleable size lumber. This means the tree was still 24 inches in diameter at the height of 125 feet. The trunk was about 4 feet in diameter. MONSTER tree, and an old tree.

I love this species. One of the tallest trees native to the eastern half of the USA. I think the world record is something around 150 - 175 feet tall.

Back