Tospovirus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mSummers

Reaction score
I think two of my Phalaenopsis have Tospovirus (see attached images). Have I made the correct identification? If so, how long do I have to isolate the plants in the same area to make sure they don't have it as well? I have another Paph and 2 Phals on the same shelf of the plant stand.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452823392.457747.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452823403.763313.jpg

Do any other plants carry orchid viruses? In addition to the Paphs and Phals on that shelf I have Cats on another shelf and African Violets and various succulents on another stand adjacent to this one.

Do any other plants carry orchid viruses? In addition to the Paphs and Phals on that shelf I have Cats on another shelf and African Violets and various succulents on another stand adjacent to this one.

Yes. Cattleya especially are prone to virus infection.
Many other plants, actually most other plants can also get virus.
BUT not all virus species will infect all plants. Viruses can be specific to certain genera of plants. It's possible that the virus you have may only affect Phalaenopsis. But it really takes an expert and lab analysis to id the virus.
So the only safe option is to remove the infected plants.

Thanks! I'll destroy the infected plants in the morning. Does the virus look the same in Paphs? I don't see any signs on the virus on those yet

I suggest contacting Agdia to purchase test kits. It costs approximately $5 to test a plant and is well worth it. The company is very personable and you can send them pictures like yours to request the correct kits. They are a wealth of information and give talks to orchid societies as well!

Thanks! I'll destroy the infected plants in the morning. Does the virus look the same in Paphs? I don't see any signs on the virus on those yet

Basically virus is not a great concern for Paphs. Until recently it was assumed that Paphs dont get virus. They do and can get virus but only rarely do symptoms ever show. Dont destroy your paphs just because they were in contact with the Phals. Chances are the phals were infected with the virus before you acquired them.

I agree discard those plants immediately. If you are concerned about your other plants as chris mentioned test kits for the.most common orchid viruses are inexpensive (also the only way to know for sure). You can also send in leaf samples to critter creek labs who will test them for you (also inexpensive).

Thanks for the additional replies. I'll look into the testing kits. I'm leaning toward destroying all the plants in that group. The 2 Paphs are poor quality plants and I would like to grow Phals so I don't want my Paphs to carry the virus and have this happen again

Unfortunately, you can't always know that a plant is free from viruses when you purchase it. It's one of the things us orchid addicts live with.

Thanks for the additional replies. I'll look into the testing kits. I'm leaning toward destroying all the plants in that group. The 2 Paphs are poor quality plants and I would like to grow Phals so I don't want my Paphs to carry the virus and have this happen again

Smart decision!

The timing is interesting on this topic. I had a recent conversation with Rick Lockwood on treating and curing plants of viruses through nutrition. Interesting stuff, more to come I'm sure.

The timing is interesting on this topic. I had a recent conversation with Rick Lockwood on treating and curing plants of viruses through nutrition. Interesting stuff, more to come I'm sure.

That is interesting. I've always read that viruses are incurable. I guess we'll have to wait for him to publish the findings

I don't think they are curable, but a strong, healthy plant can subsist just fine.

Using myself as an example, I had chicken pox as a kid, but my body and the virus coexisted peaceably for many decades. When I got cancer, my immune system was overtaxed by that, and Bingo! - shingles.

Fortunately, antivirals knocked it back.

Ray Barkalow (via Tapatalk)

"Fortunately, antivirals knocked it back. " That's the key Ray. It will happen in the plant kingdom as well.

Yeah, but "knocking it back" is not the same as a "cure". I'm still susceptible to future shingles outbreaks if my immune system wanes.

Latest posts

Back