to RO or not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

justbrad

Reaction score
When I lived in Los Angeles, I bought a small RO system for my orchids. I didn't know the specific TDS, but looking at any shower head, I could tell it wasn't good.

Upon moving to Portland, OR, I continued to use the slow RO system out of habit. Recently, I purchased and TDS and ph meter and was shocked to learn that my tap water here has a TDS of 11ppm and ph of 7.3

My question..... given the slow speed of the RO (15-20 minutes) gallon and the naturally low TDS... Would you even bother with RO?

Thanks

justbrad

xiphius

Reaction score
Yeah... In Indiana, I was lucky if I could get it down to 30-40 ppm after RO (baseline was usually 400-500+). So if you are starting at 11, count yourself lucky and save yourself some time (and $$$). In Virginia, I typically get readings of 5-10 ppm after RO and my starting is 120-140. Now, I pretty much only use my RO system to feed my mister. When I water, I mostly just use the tap (...from a well, so no chlorine).

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Residential RO membranes should remove 98-99% of the dissolved solids. Low pressure membranes are usually more in the 92-94% area.

justbrad

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advice! The change from SoCal to Portland has proven tricky to some degree,but the water quality sure is an unexpected blessing!

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Portland/Willamette Valley water basically is RO. I raised discus fish in it, grew carnivorous plants with it, and of course grew orchids with it, it is good clean water.