to RO or not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrad

Reaction score
When I lived in Los Angeles, I bought a small RO system for my orchids. I didn't know the specific TDS, but looking at any shower head, I could tell it wasn't good.

Upon moving to Portland, OR, I continued to use the slow RO system out of habit. Recently, I purchased and TDS and ph meter and was shocked to learn that my tap water here has a TDS of 11ppm and ph of 7.3

My question..... given the slow speed of the RO (15-20 minutes) gallon and the naturally low TDS... Would you even bother with RO?

Thanks

justbrad

Yeah... In Indiana, I was lucky if I could get it down to 30-40 ppm after RO (baseline was usually 400-500+). So if you are starting at 11, count yourself lucky and save yourself some time (and $$$). In Virginia, I typically get readings of 5-10 ppm after RO and my starting is 120-140. Now, I pretty much only use my RO system to feed my mister. When I water, I mostly just use the tap (...from a well, so no chlorine).

Residential RO membranes should remove 98-99% of the dissolved solids. Low pressure membranes are usually more in the 92-94% area.

Thank you everyone for your advice! The change from SoCal to Portland has proven tricky to some degree,but the water quality sure is an unexpected blessing!

Because Portland/Willamette Valley water basically is RO. I raised discus fish in it, grew carnivorous plants with it, and of course grew orchids with it, it is good clean water.

Latest posts

Back