This is happening... completely custom indoor greenhouse thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice Chris!

I have a tiny un-identified Bulbo that I got via Goods, but I think he got it from you.

The buds haven't opened yet , but are bright orange. This thing is tiny. When the spikes first come up its just like the spore stems on a moss. Do you remember this plant?

Rick/Chris,

The one to which you are referring is Bulbophyllum sp. PNG and was given a nickname/identifier "Rusty". My only information on this plant is that a single division was collected by Walter Teague, and this one never really made it into cultivation. Teague maintained it until his collection was purchased, and it was then that this was propagated and spread around somewhat. It was apparently given the name Rusty because of the rust colored algae that hitchhiked on the leaves upon import. I don't think mine came from Chris, but I think he had it. Ours most likely came from the same source.

Unfortunately, I no longer have this species, so good on you Rick for keeping it going!

Chris, this looks good! I'll be interested to see how the cooling works out. Hopefully, you can grow some larger cool growers (or lots and lots of tiny ones!)

Rick/Chris,

The one to which you are referring is Bulbophyllum sp. PNG and was given a nickname/identifier "Rusty". My only information on this plant is that a single division was collected by Walter Teague, and this one never really made it into cultivation. Teague maintained it until his collection was purchased, and it was then that this was propagated and spread around somewhat. It was apparently given the name Rusty because of the rust colored algae that hitchhiked on the leaves upon import. I don't think mine came from Chris, but I think he had it. Ours most likely came from the same source.

Unfortunately, I no longer have this species, so good on you Rick for keeping it going!

Chris, this looks good! I'll be interested to see how the cooling works out. Hopefully, you can grow some larger cool growers (or lots and lots of tiny ones!)

I did once have this species. I lost it in 2010 while in Vanuatu when the house sitter let the house temp get above 100F.

I used to have one of these....I wasn't as ingenious as you though. It housed my plants on the deck in the summer. Yours look really good. I hope it works well and look forward to updates.

I have two of the mini greenhouses! :rollhappy:
I did something (cheaper)? though.

I'm using a T5 24W, ceramic bulb, containers of water, and a fan.
I have the plants sitting on the highest shelf, I think I took the top one out though. I'm using a 100W bulb on the 2nd to bottom shelf, with pots of water underneath. I have a fan blowing the water and heat around. The heat rises so it warms the plants without the bulb directly facing them. :)
Yeah it takes up a lot of space, but I'm only using it this way temporarily. This is one of the setups I'm using for new chids.

Thanks folks!

Just got the circulation fan. A 120 mm ADDA Waterproof fan. These things are bombproof. The one in the orchidarium is been in use for 7 years now as forced air ventilation. I will be using an I2C PWM bus and transistor controlled by a computer to regulate fan speed depending on time of day.

16569551547_3162429c2f.jpg

Just got the circulation fan. A 120 mm ADDA Waterproof fan. These things are bombproof. The one in the orchidarium is been in use for 7 years now as forced air ventilation. I will be using an I2C PWM bus and transistor controlled by a computer to regulate fan speed depending on time of day.

I didn't know about this fan (ADDA AQ1212HB-F51(F)-LF). It looks very nice, indeed. I've been impressed by Noctua waterproof fan, but it costs 2x of ADDA, and the cfm is only 50% more than the ADDA. And it is only slightly noisier than Noctua. So ADDA seems to be a better choice. I'll get ADDA next time. Thanks, Chris!

Here is the spec comparison if others are interested in:
Code:
ADDA     Noctua
120mm    140mm    diameter
105.5cfm 159cfm   airflow
46.7dbA  41.3dbA  noise
2800rpm  3000rpm  speed
5.4W       6.0W   power rating
$14        $28    price
For others interested in this fan, Mouser seems to have it.

naoki, Mouser is where I buy mine. They are a solid company and I have used them for electronic replacement components for the mass spectrometers at work (solid state relays, capacitors, etc.).

Latest posts

Back