This is for NYEric -- Thanks, Eric!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated photo:
Unusual, I think, that the color has faded all over, including the synsepal and staminode. I liked the opening color better, but I think this happens with kovachii.

Phrag_IncanTreasure.jpg

yes, the color on mine was the same as yours in the beginning, then lightened as the flower got larger. it's interesting to note that the pouch and opening on your flower is a fair amount longer and more open than mine. be interesting to see if you also have four flowers....

nice spots!

yes, the color on mine was the same as yours in the beginning, then lightened as the flower got larger. it's interesting to note that the pouch and opening on your flower is a fair amount longer and more open than mine. be interesting to see if you also have four flowers....

nice spots!

Good to know, Charles. I'll try to remember to update this when I know if that is the case.

amazing how much it changed,is this one grown in a greenhouse? I wonder if it needs more humidity to keep the petals fro reflexing so much

amazing how much it changed,is this one grown in a greenhouse? I wonder if it needs more humidity to keep the petals fro reflexing so much
I wish!

It's in my sunroom, which has humidity about 45 - 50%. Doesn't seem to affect my other Phrags in bloom there. I suspect it's genetics -- kovachii petals reflex greatly as the flower ages. I'm happy it's at least symmetrical, and not bad for a first flower.

Thanks, everyone.

This is the second plant to open a flower. Notice how different the interior of the pouch is.

The first plant is on it's fourth flower, and it looks the the magic number is 4, at least for this blooming. It will be interesting to see if that holds true for plant #2

Phrag_IncanTreasure2.jpg

Surprising how much the first flower changed. :(
I do like this second one, hope it holds! :drool:
I see mine will be a surprise!

Both are Beautiful Dot. It's amazing how this line of breeding changes over time, flower structure as well as color. It's going to be tuff on the AOS judges et al.

Interesting: I have had both plants in shows with the same judges. The first plant was in Grand Rapids in January, and got a blue ribbon for seedling blooming for the first time. The second one is in the Lansing show this weekend, and didn't get a single ribbon. I haven't measured them, but I think the second one is a little smaller than the first. That may be why. It also may have something to do with placement in the display. The first one had a place of prominence, and the second one was kind of buried among plants with more flowers, Like Phals and Cymbidiums. Who knows for sure?!

Another thing that is interesting to me about this flower is how it changes over time. This one, in the photo, doesn't look that great to me in terms of it's form, but as time went on, it became very symmetrical and graceful. The first one was like that, too.

Interesting: I have had both plants in shows with the same judges. The first plant was in Grand Rapids in January, and got a blue ribbon for seedling blooming for the first time. The second one is in the Lansing show this weekend, and didn't get a single ribbon. I haven't measured them, but I think the second one is a little smaller than the first. That may be why. It also may have something to do with placement in the display. The first one had a place of prominence, and the second one was kind of buried among plants with more flowers, Like Phals and Cymbidiums. Who knows for sure?!

the judges that help at our cnyos orchid show are always preaching about having the proper placement for each plant, and how positioning and staging can greatly help plants to receive awards. I think your musing above is right on target; the buried flower won't get noticed and will be lost in the crowd. It sometimes might be better to have a few less flowering plants, if it means that more of them will get noticed and not stuck together in a display

Back