This is a worry

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've heard that a big percentage of plants coming out of there (especially harlequin phals) have viruses. this is word of mouth and may not be true...

Do you mean what sort of controls are in place in the US & other countries?

To get a Phyto certificate your plants have to be pathogen free. Until fairly recently it hasn't been possible to test for these viruses (because the kits weren't commercially available) but that has all changed and there are kits available commercially. The Taiwanese are just covering their bases. It would be a big disaster if their shipment of Phals was destroyed on landing in the US or EU because customs found they were virus infected...

i've heard that a big percentage of plants coming out of there (especially harlequin phals) have viruses. this is word of mouth and may not be true...

I see:rollhappy::rollhappy:eek:rchid measles, that would explain all the spot & botch features on the harlequins:D

This thought is big in orchid circles here and mentioned by those I believe to be qualified to say so. You don't see the Professional Phal growers here buying up big on them, only the traders and hobby growers wanting these "new" types.

I guess I'm a little confused. This month's "Orchids" magazine has an article about Taiwanese orchid production and discusses several major producers. Repeated (every plant, every step) virus testing is mentioned as being a normal part of the process. There is no indication how long this has been going on, but I would assume it is not completely brand new as the article seems to indicate.

I too have heard speculation about the "unusual" Phals perhaps virused and that is what causes the patterns on them, but I would think it would be easy enough to check out. However, it still seems to remain as speculation that is unconfirmed.

Susan

Latest posts

Back