Third Time's a Charm...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rhiZoctonia

Hello All.
I've been part of this forum for several months now; it's about time I introduced myself. I actually did post an intro in the Talk Back forum a number of weeks ago, but it was really brief. I tried to join three times, and I thank Heather and Blake for convincing the computers that I am a real person, and that I'm not here to sell you discounted Canadian pharmaceuticals, or whatever.
Anyway, my name is Gene Zielinski, and I've been growing orchids off and on (mostly off) for the past 30 or so years. I resumed the hobby late last year. I'm a windowsill grower who is experimenting with s/h (so far, so good -- but it's too early to tell how successful I'll be.) My collection numbers about 50 plants indoors, and a few more outdoors. Initially, the vast majority of my collection was paphs, but trips to Carter and Holmes, the Atlanta Orchid Show, the Redland Orchid Show, and a few ebay purchases have reduced that percentage somewhat. The paphs I grow are almost all species, and mostly brachy's and parvi's, but I do intend to branch out to other groups.
The other orchids I grow (again, mostly species) are a bit of a mix, but I lean toward laelias (hadrolaelia and rupicolous, and others), a cattleya or two (bowringiana), phalaenopsis (the big moth types, like stuartiana), an oncidium, a brassia, etc, etc.
My other plant interest is bulbs. Not tulips or daffodils, but more uncommon things, like species hippeastrum (amaryllis), species crinum, some plants from the iris family, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. My other main hobby is birdwatching (or "birding"). Most of my vacations involve looking for plants or birds -- or both.
I've learned quite a bit since I've been a member. I probably won't be able to post too often, since my job takes up a lot of my time. (I'm a quality control/analytical lab supervisor for a small chemical company.) Still, I'm glad to be part of this group.

Gene Z

Welcome from Luxembourg Gene!!! If not Paphs, then Laelias and catts (and ...), not to forget bulbos and neos, are alternatives :) :) ! Jean

Welcome from Nashville Gene.

There's allot of very good growers in this part of the country.

Also we have overlapping professional interests we'll have to correspond about.

welcome gene!
when I was up in a bog in eagle bay (ferd's bog), I was taking pictures of native orchids, and looking down when I was walking along the boardwalk. Another gentleman was there looking around, and later told me that he could tell that I was an orchid person rather than birder because orchid people were always looking down with their camera, while birders were usually peering upwards. seems like your head may be bobbing up and down, people will think you're nodding in agreement to your imaginary friends... ;) may be tough to decide which has precedence for your field trips! one good thing is that in many areas, where there are rare birds there are often rare plants in the habitat and in upstate ny that often means native orchids.

good luck with all your pursuits!

a hearty welcome from memphis, I'm a herper but got to see some awesome birds while doing research in Panama, lots of parrots, toucans, hummers, a sun bittern, but the ant eaters were my favorites, loved to watch them hunt.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! One of the nice things about being interested in birds and plants is that when the birding gets boring (or there are no birds around), you can always look down and find an interesting plant.
One of the reasons I took so long to reply is that I'm back from a one week vacation in southeast Arizona. I saw lots of birds, but only one orchid, Malaxis corymbosa.

Gene Z.

Back