The most frustrating plants u hav ever owned...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty much almost all dendrobiums suffer from short life with me, though the most frustrating paph was that silly malipoense. I bought it in spike, and months later it finally flowered. For about three years the spike would grow up and up and up and after an eternity the bud would blast. Last time some scale got after it and I left them to eat.... no more problem

worst non-paph would have to be the dendrochilum cobbianum. I've had that almost the whole time I've been trying to grow orchids, and it's grown and grown and grown, been divided and chunks given to others, and grown and grown and grown, and never had a flower. I've tried many things and can't seem to get rid of it completely because it grows so well. One day I am convinced that the flowers will just explode out of it.... or it'll get sold or traded to someone. I can't throw away something that has grown so faithfully for so long.

hey, that was part of my plant wish list; yellow uniflora, cardinalis, kewensis, deep red unifolia, subulata (or whatever the yellow species is); other parts were a bunch of sophronites, laelia speciosa, dend. falcorostrum and peguanum and, well that's enough. eric, i'll trade you my cobbianum after i kill the mbugs for one big or a few small of the above! ;)

hey, is it legal for me to 'trade' here even if 60% joking about it? i don't want to get banned and the way my week is going that could likely happen.....

Oh yes, we ban people like crazy here. The list of black-balled names is huge. My goal is to ban 3 people a week;> It gives me great pleasure to have such control of the masses. cough, cough sounds like another forum, cough, cough.

For me its Masdevalias and Draculas --In the past I would buy one every now and then only to see it die when the summer heat sets in.

hey, that was part of my plant wish list; yellow uniflora, cardinalis, kewensis, deep red unifolia, subulata (or whatever the yellow species is);
eric, i'll trade you my cobbianum after i kill the mbugs for one big or a few small of the above! ;)

I'm ordering the disa multi-deal from Gore Conservatory maybe there'll be something there you asked about :D

For me its Masdevalias and Draculas --In the past I would buy one every now and then only to see it die when the summer heat sets in.

The botanical gardens in Atlanta GA (much hotter than Paris) is doing good with their Dracs and Masde's. What they have is a giant chilled fogger. The sump is chilled to about 40F. Then they pump the chilled water through a barrage of misting heads with huge fans blowing past them. Following that the cooled mist goes through a big wall of wet pad like material before getting ducted into the exhibit area.

This produces cold and humid air. If you just add standard air conditioning the air gets dehumidified.

This system is fairly efficient but still uses lots of electricity. It was actually developed by the textile industry because apparently cotton fibers are fairly demanding for climate control during processing.

I'm ordering the disa multi-deal from Gore Conservatory maybe there'll be something there you asked about :D

cool! I still have plenty of super-sphag squares left over from the previous round. I tried s/h for disas and though it seemed to work well to a point, it was too airy and that meant it dried out too quickly (meaning I wasn't paying attention...):confused:

It was actually developed by the textile industry because apparently cotton fibers are fairly demanding for climate control during processing.

That part I did not know. Interesting.

Add to my list of dendrochillum and maxillaria, any pleuro in a pot.

Masdevllia anything. I just gave away 9 of them because they just can't take my water and I really don't want to invest in a system. Back to encyclias and catts.

Most that have to do with Cattleya. Also anything growing in cool temps dies ery quickly during the summer period...lol

Dendrobium brassii... Even though I have managed to get it to bloom once, which seems to be a GREAT achievement for this species...

Yep, I have quite a few. I have a number of Angraecum and Aerangis that are down-right stubborn - aren't growing, doing nothing ! Angraecum leonis - I have 3 of these - and none of them are doing anything! They have never bloomed, and have not yet grown one new leaf! Very frustrating. I also have an Angraecum magdalenae, also doing nothing! and I have an Aerangis luteo-alba that will not grow or bloom or anything!

They all get bright light, dappled sunlight, good air circulation, fertilizer and still I'm not seeing these orchids perform!

My Paph. gratrixianum x Paph. liemianum. I purchased it from Ray Rands many years ago as part of his advertised six-pack of seedlings. It now has several growths and is flower size . . . . . . still waiting! :sob:

Unfortunately, i have and have had a few of these frustrating plants. I tried three C. schilleriana without any success and right now a Dracula simia that grows well but every time it puts out buds, they eventually die before flowering. (And then I'm the one making monkey faces!) :(.

Latest posts

Back