The first Phrag. wallisii x kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

The first wallisii x kovachii has bloomed! This picture was sent to us by Manolo Arias from Peruflora who got the first one to bloom. I was afraid it was going to be big and floppy with bad shape, but It actually turned out better than I thought. I don't know what the exact dimensions are, but it is basically is a giant Phrag schroderae

Phragmipediumwallisiixkovachii15deF.jpg

Robert

That's pretty nice. The colour is wonderful. I'd like to see that crossed back onto kovachii to (hopefully), widen the petals, flatten the dorsal and enlarge the pouch.

I too was worried about how this one was going to look. I hope mine looks as nice...I wish mine would grow faster too
Me, too. At least it is still alive.

When I saw the photo, I also thought it looked like Schroderae. It would be interesting to know how big the flower is -- and how big the plant.

The first wallisii x kovachii has bloomed! This picture was sent to us by Manolo Arias from Peruflora who got the first one to bloom. I was afraid it was going to be big and floppy with bad shape, but It actually turned out better than I thought. I don't know what the exact dimensions are, but it is basically is a giant Phrag schroderae
Robert

Do you know the approximate size? I don't see any influence from kovachii unless it is size?

Actually, IMO the color takes a cast from the Pk similar to that which Phrag. Schroderae gets from schlimii. I'm sure the flower size is huge though. It will be interesting to see the colors that come from Pk hybrids crossed to schlimii and fischeri and back to Pk.

I don't know...so far I am not impressed by Pk hybrids. The species impresses me, a hell of a lot....but so far, the hybrids just look like Phrag hybrids....nothing new, maybe a touch larger, but not that much larger to be impressive. Take care, Eric

Ive been dying to see this one bloom! Thanks!

Hey Rose, let's hope ours bloom some time this decade! How are yours doing?

Something tells me is still going to be awhile!
I have 3, 1 is puny & has a hard time having more than 1 leaf at a time :( .
The other 2 are pretty good. I almost lost the one, hit it with DB & it shot up a new growth & it looks better than the first!
Considering the parentage, we shouldn't be surprised at how it looks, but we still want kovachii!!!

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: Thanks Eric, not sure I want to try the species this soon.
I should have been clearer, we want kov X's to be more like the kov parent!

I don't know...so far I am not impressed by Pk hybrids. The species impresses me, a hell of a lot....but so far, the hybrids just look like Phrag hybrids....nothing new, maybe a touch larger, but not that much larger to be impressive. Take care, Eric

In my opinion, it will never match besseae as a parent. Personally I think it will add some size to the gene pool but besseae is so wonderful, beautiful, and influential it will never be surpassed. Just my opinion.

e-spice

You could possible be right, but it is entirely too early to have a valid conclusion regarding PK. The best crosses will be back crosses to kovachii similar to what we got with besseae and Phrag Jason Fischer. We are probably 3-5 years from seeing decent examples of such breeding.

Latest posts

Back