The Cycle of Life - interrupted

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, there is never anybody around when a bear confronts you.
So, nature gets to run its course.
just saying...

Another thing to consider.....garter snakes ARE mildly venomous. Not enough to hurt a human (except in rare cases) but enough to affect their prey. Once that snake has gotten its teeth and saliva into the toad, it may well be unable to survive even if "rescued".

Another thing to consider.....garter snakes ARE mildly venomous. Not enough to hurt a human (except in rare cases) but enough to affect their prey. Once that snake has gotten its teeth and saliva into the toad, it may well be unable to survive even if "rescued".

News to me too. I just read about Garter Snakes on Wikipedia. Ribbon Snakes, like the one I saw, are part of the Garter Snake complex of species. The toad that I saved had not been caught for long and it's head and face were undamaged. However, Charles's toad may have absorbed some venom as it's leg did look damaged. Apparently, the venom isn't injected via fangs; it's released in the back of the snake's mouth and it seeps into the prey animal's bloodstream via wounds that are created by a "chewing" action.

Yes...garter snake venom is not injected through fangs, but is in the saliva. When it was first discovered, it was believed to be toad venom that had remained in their mouths. AFIK, however, it is now believed that snakes of the genus Thamnophis (garters and ribbons) do produce their own venom.

I demonstrated my ability to have compassion and empathy for another creature in desperate need. Taking pitty on a toad that is about to be devoured and killed is such a small gesture; if we're unwilling to do something like that, then how can we ever manage to do something bigger for other people? Actions speak louder than words.

I disagree. I show compasion through my actions every day. I also show passion through pursuit of my loves, hobbies, and even work. The snakes 'survival' does come down to it consuming some creature just as your's probably does. Next time you have a chicken wing or ham sandwich or hamburger or fish filet you should pray that if an alien encounter ever happens that the superior aliens aren't bovine or supine, etc.

well, we're really ranging far afield from what i ever imagined from posting a few pics of a snake and a toad; it boils down to the fact that the snake will live and likely eat something else. it's body condition was such that most likely it will survive to find something else to eat, if a hawk doesn't come along and eat it first. for the toad, it was lights out. game over.

eric, you like snakes so you defend the snake. but, that is fine. both the snake and the toad are equally important in the grand scheme of things. the snake and the toad are both alive in this situation, and who knows maybe they will meet again with different results. otherwise, only one is alive. i prefer life, and the chance to do something. now, the toad and the snake can both 'do' something... at least until one or the other eats or gets eaten :) . eric you mention the loss of a meal for the snake, but it's the loss of life for the toad; not equal at all. the loss of one meal won't do in that snake

I dont favor snakes or toads. Everything is food. The snake will have to eat something just as the toad will. This is the course of life and death in Nature.

Charles: Don't bother explaining. I think Eric has accidentally taken an overdose of "**** disturber" pills today. :p This conversation won't be over until he feels that he's won, as if it was a contest and not a discussion.

Latest posts

Back