thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
I bought this in flower a couple of weeks ago. Since it requires more warmth than my GH can deliver right now, I made it my current office orchid.

20090225-134013-520.jpg

flower diameter in the pic was 4 cm, since then it opened a little further and scratches 5cm now. They get bigger than I thought.
At the nursery who sold it I noticed two things with pleasure: they still had 50 or so left from the import that came in a year or two ago. That indicates to me there is not such a craze about this species than with vietnamiense or so. Good news for wild populations, I hope. Second, there were a couple of flowers with better shape than mine (wider petals) that have been pollinated. Looks like there'll be more flasks of that species around soon.
As I understand, these plants were from a legal import from Thailand (legally exported).

Cheers, Carsten

So cute!

Are you in Europe? Would you mind telling where you got from? Also, any chance of the whole plant picture? Thanks :)

Very nice, it sounds like you are lucky to have such a top-notch nursery around!

What does "(legally exported)" mean? If I went to that nursery would I be able to bring the plants back to the USA?
It is my understanding that thaianum has been exported from Thailand with the proper paperwork. If that is true, and please correct me if not, you should be able to apply for an import permit for the US.

Cheers, Carsten

Hi Carsten,

this is a real cutie and I think I saw your plant in bud when I visited a well known nursery in Lower Saxony/Germany in mid January.

Best regards form Germany, rudolf

OK, there's no charge for an import permit, if I have cites and inspection paperwork allowing the export from thailand, and a phytosanitary certs from DE. I should be able to bring in plants. How much $$+/- do they cost?

Very nice!!! Love the stami!!!

Eric, imagine what would it feel like if plant rotted during shipment!!! And I think that you could buy many plants with the amount you are going to spend!!! Plz reconsider... ;)
But then, if you feel like it...who can stop you...;):D:D:D

There is no reason for thaianum to be illegal, at least in the near future. Thailand is a CITES signatory, the plants come from Thailand and, if propagated in Thailand, would be fully legal with the proper paperwork. I would think that as soon as flasks are made and ready, they should be exportable.

Yep, and paph enthusiasts are well known for being the most patient people! :rolleyes:
There is no reason for thaianum to be illegal, at least in the near future. Thailand is a CITES signatory, the plants come from Thailand and, if propagated in Thailand, would be fully legal with the proper paperwork. I would think that as soon as flasks are made and ready, they should be exportable.

Latest posts

Back