"Susan Booth"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
Earlier this year somebody offered quite a few Susan Booth in bud on ebay over here, for very little money. I thought I couldn't go wrong for the money and received a very nice and healthy plant, in fact.

Few weeks later it opened:

20081215-162410-333.jpg
bildercache_80x15.gif

20081215-162834-375.jpg
bildercache_80x15.gif

First I thought, wow, this is pretty roth-heavy. And then I thought, well, this is a straight roth, isn't it? Certainly not Susan B, and most in my eyes not even Wayne Booth.
Great colour, I think. Size was still a bit small, just above 20cm across. I like it.

best wishes, Carsten

Do you remember which seller it was? I would love to see whether there are more available. :drool:

I have to agree with the other straight roth people. Somebody made a booboo and you made out like a bandit!

I must say that even though I'm not too big on pointy petals I really like how this works on this blooms. Congrats !!!!

I have to agree with the other straight roth people. Somebody made a booboo and you made out like a bandit!

Now you make me feel real guilty :wink:
Actually, if the vendor was somebody who had payed for a roth himself, I would have contacted him. But this person sells off stuff from wholesale nurseries, and in this instance one wrong plant must have hopped onto a shipment of multifloral hybrids. That's a situation where I'm not able to offer compensation.

John M, I should update my profile, I'm in Northern Germany.

Gilda, I had the same idea, but I'm still at work and not somewhere in the tropics enjoying a drink at the pool.

I payed about what Sam Tsui asks for one of his cheapest roth seedlings. That's low price for a 2-growth SB in spike and that's why I gave it a go, even though this seller offers stuff that is obscure at times, like sanderianum that has tesselated leafs on the picture.

I'm quite confident this is a pure roth, but I consider this might be a mislabelled hybrid like Wayne Booth. My own Wayne Booth hasn't flowered yet, and in the pics I've found the staminode may look quite similar to roth's, but praestans is showing thru somewhere in the flower every time and I can't see it in my flower. Leaves me 95% sure.

Thanks for your nice comments,

best wishes, Carsten

"I'm in Northern Germany"

Thanks for the info.

I know I've already said it; but, I'd like to say it again. I am sure that your plant is pure roth. I've bloomed quite a few over the years and seem many others. The staminode on yours is a perfect roth staminode and the flowers show virtually no influence from other species. Plus, it's quite a good example of the species. Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back