Suggestions for balanced fert available in the UK?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The overdosing concept is what led to the K-lite formula.

Rick's belief that K was the source of all troubles is what led to the K-lite formula.

The overdosing concept has been around for a century! (or at least 50 years)
Quote Gilbert 1951 ''Cypripediums do better when regularly repotted into fresh compost rather than giving liquid manure''
Paraphrase Rentoul in the 80's ''The feeding solution should be so diluted as to render it innocuous when given at every watering''

Depends what's in it. If it's a liquid, it's a waste of money. (mostly water and probably with precipitates in it.
IMO, your best bet is to go to a hydroponic shop which sells a good quality 2 part powdered fert. Then get yourself a good quality ''regular'' powdered fertilizer with high urea and or ammonium. Mix the two to your feeding concentration requirements in water. (don't make concentrates) Use kelp and or organic ferts like fish occasionally. Later, when you get bored, you may want to play with trace elements.

Mike, do you use hydro based fertilizers? which? Thanks

Ed, do you feed each watering? Seems like that's what you mean but just want to check with you. But it makes sense since you are flushing after feeding.

Today I fed with Tomorite + seaweed extract in RO water at 385ppm. I flushed thru' with RO water only about i hour later. The weather is dull here with a temp of 18c so I will give the greenhouse a miss tomorrow but proceed as usual the day afterwards.

Ed

Tomorite is high potash + seaweed, not a K-lite fan? Is this your regular feed or just once in a few of your regular feed?

Hi gego. I alternate the feed between Tomorite, phostrogen and akernes rain mix with seaweed extract used at nearly every dosing. Always flushed after each feeding. Seems to be working OK for me so I'm not doing any changes.
Although I have placed a roth out in the open air to get the rain and differing heat with plenty of wind movement as an experiment.

Ed

Are you gong to continue the same feeding schedule/amount/method as if it did not get rain?

Hi Lance. Definitely I'm not going to feed the roth I will leave it to it's own devises with the exeption that if we get short of rain ( if only!!) I will not let the plant dry out too long so will water with RO just to keep it ticking over.
As I've said before I've got my Angraecums and renantheras outside and I haven't fed them for 4 months. Most of the time they are wet not only in the pots but also in the crowns, The only thing I have observed is an abundant growth in arial roots and good growth in the crowns even though they are almost constantly flooded. I wonder when they start producing flower stems in September will they still be as fruitful.

Ed

A lot for Potassium in this one ! Why ?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Why not?

Don't forget it's a 2 part fert. You can add as much N as you want.
The mixing instructions are for annual crops (usually tomatoes and the like)
If you follow them you will end up with a K/N ratio of 1.2 (same as MSU)
If you go 50/50 you end up with a K/N ratio of 0.8

Litter plus throughfall in lower montane New Guinea habitat delivers K/N of 0.82

So what exactly is the problem?

Latest posts

Back