Strange vanda behavior

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

I have a Vanda Fred Kirby that is an enormous plant...multigrowth, constantly producing keikii's. It does not bloom regularly, but when it does (nice purple blooms) it blooms in the summer, and from the smaller keikii's- no blooms at all on the large growths. Once it bloomed from a very small keikii...only a few inches across. Its currently in bloom...again from a keikii, but this time the spike is coming from the apex of the growth, just like a paph...more interesting, there is a leaf growing like a bract from the mid point of the flower stalk...I'll have to see if I can get a picture. Has anyone seen this type of growth pattern on a vanda before? Take care, Eric

Do you have it growing along with the paphs??? :poke: hehe...
It would be interesting to see some pics!!!

I have seen this behaviour in Phalaenopsis. Normally the plants died afterwards if they do not develope a basal keiki (this should not be teh case with your Vanda, as you already mentionned it has several growths)

Yes Roy....I just remembered...I bought it from (I believe) Bob Fuchs long ago at one of the GNYOS shows, as a tiny seedling (labelled Ascda Fred Kirby, but to my knowledge, Fred Kirby is a Vanda...and its a huge plant) and I do recall hearing that it was supposed to be 4N. Take care, Eric

Here are the photos....first, the plant itself......its pretty large. Next, the growth with the flowers...its not all that clear, but you can see the flower spike. Last, the flowers themselves...Take care, Eric

Ron, I run a search on the parentage and the flower color doesn't quite match what I would expect but I suppose is possible. The flower shape also. What size is the flowers ?? Its a "wow" of a plant and looks to be in a condition to flower all the time.

The flowers are about 4" across... I seem to recall them looking "bluer" in past blooms...but it doesn't bloom every year. I've had it at least 10 years...possibly more, maybe less....got it as a small seedling and it grew and grew...but as I said, it never flowers from the large growths, only from small growths. Originally, it grew straight up...and up, and up...getting too tall...without blooms either. When it started to keikii at the bottom, I cut off the top and gave it away. It didn't bloom until after I cut it. Unlike most of the blue/purple Vanda's which seem to bloom fall/winter, this one blooms in summer..but that may be due to its only getting good sun in summer...its way too large, so it gets tucked into a corner of my cold room for winter (yes..cold room with paphs and cymbidiums...no space in the warmer rooms). If anyone in the NYC area would like it, you are welcome to it if you can come and pick it up! I hope you have a lot of space........Take care, Eric

Eric, the bluer color does definitely seem to be at odds with the parentage. Its even more possible the 4n attempt has created your problem plant.
A 4 inch flower is about right for the cross as it is. Sounds like a good eBay plant by division........

Eric, the bluer color does definitely seem to be at odds with the parentage. Its even more possible the 4n attempt has created your problem plant.
A 4 inch flower is about right for the cross as it is. Sounds like a good eBay plant by division........

Roy

What is the parentage of V. Fred Kirby?

Flower Color/shape and size is very close to my basic V. Manuvadee, but I guess blue Vanda hybrids may be heading the way of Paph Maudeae

Last edited:
Back