stranded in the philippines?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She wasn't really in the Philippines. Her email got hacked and the culprits sent emails to her friends in her name trying to get money. Be careful, the internet is becoming a terribly risky place.

I have understand this was moe a joke from my side

Hi Rose, I got one of your emails too. My parents, now well into their 80's got a similar spoof, fortunately, a sharp bank teller, when they asked about sending money to England to save their friend, the bank teller had a bank officer sit down with them and explain that it was a hoax. That was a close call. These spammers do it because every now and then somebody falls for it. Turns out the email that my folks almost got suckered in on came out of an IP address in Romania.

Lastest update ....
another STer & IOS member called me the next day, he left a strange message and I knew it was about the email. Right after leaving the phone message he said I was sure it was a hoax but he was having one very strange day so had to check. He and another person caught they even spelled my email address wrong, or intentional? - goldrosay rather than goldrosey. The day after I reported it to AT&T, I got a confirm account changes, the hackers had added goldrosay and I haven't received any emails since so I don't know what to expect next...
I'm still laughing, as soon as Eric becomes involved, the thread goes off the deep end and others can't help it!

The spammers do create an email address that is very similar to the one that is legit. Then when your friends reply to it, the email is sent to the spammers rather than to you. Even if you block the fake address, your friends can still be scammed, and you will never know.

I received a similar email from my accountant, and the spammers were very clever with the address. His name was spelled correctly, but instead of @rogers.com it was @yahoo.com. Since millions of people use both these email services, and some have mailboxes with both, it's very difficult to clue in. My Firefox browser caught the scam before I did!

to be continued ....

... well one week later I'm still not receiving any emails, I have sent emails or so I thought. Today was the 2nd day on the phone with AT&T, 3 techs, 1 1/2 hours later it seems to be straightened out. Any incoming emails as well as outgoing was going thru the the hackers! It takes more than just deleting the email address that they added, so when I thought I was paying a bill, I wasn't, so when I thought I should see that ebay refund on a wrong item sent, I didn't. So even though AT&T feels they shouldn't be able to hack the credit card account or the paypal account, I still changed passwords, with the way my luck is running, I'm not taking any chances! Yesterday I went to renew my drivers license & take the eye test. The facility is 40 minutes away, their system was down and after almost 2 hours, Springfield still didn't know the cause, gotta love technology!!!

Back