Storing green pod?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Orchid breeding emergency!

I'm moving tomorrow, and I've been moving the plants. I just noticed that a pod is starting to split at the bottom—about 6 months earlier than expected. I've been wondering about it, as the pod got very big very quickly, but I wasn't expecting gestation in 3 months.

How should I store the green pod while awaiting sowing?

Relatedly, if you are interested in the cross, please let me know. I have a couple local biologists who might like to do it, but I'm open to other homes for the cross. It's: (Laeliocatarthron (Caulaelia Snowflake x C. Coronet) x Brassavola nodosa) Two very dominant flower shapes crossed against each other.

I'm not sure on Catt cross on gestation period.. I think they are on the long side like paphs 8 months +.. But for storing the green pods. I would use a coffee filter in an open plastic container until you are ready to ship them to the flasker..
P.S. if they are on the plant still, wrap the pod with a coffeee filter to catch the seed!!

Thanks, Tom!

Yes—I think they are usually more around 8-9 months. Maybe it's the Caularthron in the hybrid? I have no idea. The pod is nice and (burstingly) plump, though, so I think it really is ready.

It is still on the plant, but I figured I'd harvest it green, since that seems to be what everyone advises for best results. Too bad I already packed the coffee filters! I'll try a paper towel in tupperware.

Latest posts

Back