Stalled Growth ON Phrag Mont Fallu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have a Phrag Mont Fallu which amazingly I have manged to get into double spike!! I am so happy but I have noticed that over the last week or so there has been no activity. The spikes have stopped growing. Is this normal for a slipper -Phrag to be exact? I really hope that this isn't an early sign that it is going to blast. I wonder if it is to do with temperature? I have not yet put the heating on and the night temps are about 15oC. Day temps are about 20oC. My humidity is currently in the 60s and they are getting adequate light.

This was taken on the ninth sept.
2011-09-09123236.jpg

This picture was taken on the 16th sept.
2011-09-16155111.jpg

This was taken today
2011-09-20103358.jpg

I don't see any movement. Oh god I hope that I'm not going to lose it :(

Night temps seem OK to me but it might like it a little warmer during the day. Maybe 23-25C for a few hours if you can. Also, it may not yet have completely adapted to its new home. Check for the possible presence of mealy bugs in the crown, just in case. Lastly, don't forget to keep it moist. That said, I see nothing basically wrong in the pics.

Night temps seem OK to me but it might like it a little warmer during the day. Maybe 23-25C for a few hours if you can. Also, it may not yet have completely adapted to its new home. Check for the possible presence of mealy bugs in the crown, just in case. Lastly, don't forget to keep it moist. That said, I see nothing basically wrong in the pics.

So I should put the heating on? O.K then. I don't have any mealy bugs in the crown but I did have a snail problem a few weeks ago. I repotted and I haven't seen any for a while. I keep the rockwool moist at all times. So hopefully I should start to see some more growth if I put the heating on. I will do this immediately. Thank you Shiva.

Susie, I wouldn't worry at all. You haven't actually got the plant to come into spike yet. It is in sheath. Both Paphs and Phrags often will produce a flowering sheath just like yours and then sit for weeks or months without doing anything......waiting for the right moment to "bolt" with a spike. Don't fuss with your plant and kill it with kindness and concern. Just let it do it's thing on it's own timetable. It is fine. Be patient.

Susie, I wouldn't worry at all. You haven't actually got the plant to come into spike yet. It is in sheath. Both Paphs and Phrags often will produce a flowering sheath just like yours and then sit for weeks or months without doing anything......waiting for the right moment to "bolt" with a spike. Don't fuss with your plant and kill it with kindness and concern. Just let it do it's thing on it's own timetable. It is fine. Be patient.

Thanks John. I have no idea about spike/ sheaf formation. I thought that it was a flower spike that I had growing. Oh well, never mind. As long as it grows right?

Thanks John. I have no idea about spike/ sheaf formation. I thought that it was a flower spike that I had growing. Oh well, never mind. As long as it grows right?
Well, a sheath is step #1 towards blooming. First, the sheath comes and then sometimes right away, sometimes months later, the spike grows up through the sheath and out the top as it stretches out with flowers buds. It may take awhile, but one day you'll notice that something is coming up inside the sheath. You MUST resist the temptation to squeeze the sheath to see if it is fattening up with something. That will just damage the tender new spike and kill it! Look with your eyes not your fingers.:drool:

BTW: Mont Fallu has a lot of longifolium in it; so, it likes lots of water. Make sure that it never is allowed to go dry. Some people would even stand this one in a shallow puddle of water. You don't need to do that; but, certainly water it often enough that it is not ever starving for plenty of moisture at the roots.

It seems unlikely that other inflorescences would fail at the same time. I think the temps are OK. I have had Phrags loose chlorophyll in chilly temps - probably an inability to take up the minerals they require. Stay the course and try not to change too many things at once.

Well, a sheath is step #1 towards blooming. First, the sheath comes and then sometimes right away, sometimes months later, the spike grows up through the sheath and out the top as it stretches out with flowers buds. It may take awhile, but one day you'll notice that something is coming up inside the sheath. You MUST resist the temptation to squeeze the sheath to see if it is fattening up with something. That will just damage the tender new spike and kill it! Look with your eyes not your fingers.:drool:

BTW: Mont Fallu has a lot of longifolium in it; so, it likes lots of water. Make sure that it never is allowed to go dry. Some people would even stand this one in a shallow puddle of water. You don't need to do that; but, certainly water it often enough that it is not ever starving for plenty of moisture at the roots.

Oh now I see about the sheaf / spike. I really had no idea. I thought that that was the top of the spike showing. :eek: But now I know better. I won't do the saucer of water because I just don't feel comfortable with that - yet, but maybe as I become more confident I will give it a go. For now I don't mind increased waterings. Thanks for the info.

It seems unlikely that other inflorescences would fail at the same time. I think the temps are OK. I have had Phrags loose chlorophyll in chilly temps - probably an inability to take up the minerals they require. Stay the course and try not to change too many things at once.

Noted Fawkes and I will leave everything as it is. :) I have actually noticed that they do appear to be growing. I have faintly scored the nearest leaf to the sheafs and the line is now below the top of the sheaf. I just can't detect it with my own eyes but already I feel better.

Latest posts

Back