spiranthes romanzoffiana in situ+

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had last monday off from work again, and ken hull, bard prentiss and I went to a tall hilltop in cortland county to see spiranthes case. afterwards we went to a spot near Bard's backyard in dryden, ny to see if there were any spiranthes romanzoffiana orchids still in flower. they're usually in flower late july, and bard had told us that there were a few hundred very nice flowering plants on land behind his house and the dryden fire department. I'd never seen more than a dozen or so in any one area so was interested in seeing them. romanzoffiana is fairly distinctive when compared to other spiranthes. most of the spiranthes were already out of flower, but a few late ones were still in flower. it was a fairly hot day, and as usual the humidity was very high in the fen. it was a very interesting place, full of interesting plants that like growing in calcareous conditions (they like calcium) along with some very colorful dragonflies zipping around. I spent the better part of 15 minutes just standing in the middle of the area where this huge, blue-striped dragonfly was spending most of it's time cruising for dinner, in the hopes that I could get some close-up pictures of it

bards810a.JPG

spiranthes romanzoffiana (orchid)

bards810b.JPG

bards810c.JPG

bards810d.JPG

extreme closeup

bards810e.JPG

a super-tall specimen about 135cm tall!

bards810f.JPG

yellow flower, blue vervain, queen-anne's lace, teasel

bards810g.JPG

close-up of teasel (first time i've seen it in flower, usually just see the shells/stems along the highway)
these are cousins to the teasels found in great britain; I believe those have hooks on the ends of the spikes and were used to card or comb cotton or wool when making fabric. not sure if these were used, or were hybridized with the others at some time.. interesting pre-industrial use of plants in mass clothing production

bards810h.JPG

bull thistle

bards810i.JPG

horsetails, a fen indicator; usually they grow around the margins of a calcareous area. certain ones were used in the old days to scrub pots because they have so much silica in their stems (I think one of the common names is 'scouring rush'). i've been told that this variety is Sterile Horsetail

bards810j.JPG

close-up of horsetail

bards810k.JPG

blue vervain

this is the first wave, more pics will be in a following reply

Last edited:
I love horsetails. Have it growing on the deck in containers.
Just seen tons of it growing under the redwoods.
About triple the size of the plants I've seen on the east coast.
Great pics!

rest of pics from dryden firehouse wetland

rest of pics from bard's back yard

bards810l.JPG

queen lobelia; a stunted plant, they can be a few feet tall

bards810m.JPG

close-up

bards810n.JPG

invasion... purple loosestrife is a non-native plant that used to be used in landscapes but it invades wetlands so successfully that it can push out other important plants. I think the plant protection people of the government have even imported a bug that eats this plant in it's native habitat in an attempt to knock it back a bit. with our luck, it'll decide that it likes to eat orchids or corn more than purple loosestrife

bards810o.JPG

close-up of purple loosestrife with honeybee in background

bards810p.JPG

one of the mints

bards810q.JPG

swamp milkweed

bards810r.JPG

Joe Pye Weed

bards810s.JPG

red dragonfly

bards810s2.JPG

bards810t.JPG

cool blue striped dragonfly I spent alot of time trying to get a pic of in mid-air; huge!

bards810u.JPG

even though I had the shutter set to 1/1600th of a second, the wing tips are still blurred

bards810v.JPG

berries on tall bush on way out of fen

... you don't see any pics of the cultivated blackberries that we saw on the way into/out of the fen (that were huge), because I ate them all! ;)

Last edited:
Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!
Dragonfly shots brings me great childhood memories. :)

Love that last red berry shot.

Teasel(??) shot is also great! What a structure!!

Makes me want to go hiking in a while.
I'm quite scared of snakes among other things.

Charles, did you check for ticks and poison ivy? All the shots were wonderful particularly the dragon flies. I love
those small predators. I see smallish blue ones around our
pool a lot, but never seen the red one. Spectacular shot!

Somehow, I missed this post, but wonderful images! The close up of S. romanzoffiana is amazing. I think this species grows in our neighborhood, but they are usually 20cm tall. Yours are huge!

The Darner (the blue dragonfly) photo is cool, too. This summer, I chased lots of dragonflies with nets, and I'm learning the ID's. It's driven by my 4 year old son, and it's super fun (we do catch & release)!

Ty and Yw! A botanist/taxonomist did a genomic study for which I supplied some samples; some of our upstate ny romanzoffiana has close cousins genetically from Montana! So this species does get around the highlands

Latest posts

Back