Spicerianum with Double Buds!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
So, the second bud is well on its way it seems. :)
The flowers have this nice peppery fragrance.
Such a good grower even at the apartment. Good boy! :D

There is a late fourth spike coming. It will open up well after all these guys will have faded out. Oh, well. Extended bloom period for me to enjoy, I guess.

G8zmglbl.jpg

44xOPLil.jpg

LyjnuiFl.jpg

Neat. I haven't had the best of luck with this plant so far.
Don

Gotta get a good plant.
I saw pictures of this person ( also an apartment grower) whose spicerianum grows like wildfire and she divides it often enough that she has a multiple pots if them!

I've also had greenhouse people complain about their crappy spicerianum and these are people who grow other Paphs fine.

So I think starting with that willing grower plant is very important.

Very impressive! Mine is slowly coming back from a near death experience

What happened to it??
Hopefully it would recover nicely.

This is my only spicer, but I have Hsinying Delight (spicer x Stone Lovely) that was a big clump that somehow fell apart into pieces and slowed down years ago. Then it slowed came back until this year, they are finally making a flower again with some growths.

The second bud on the third spike made it to open bloom! :)

The fading bloom has some nice yellow tone on it that I did not see on this plant before. They normally just turn mushy ugly brown and drop. lol

Btw, it is rather strange that the flowers last barely one month this season.
This plant had flowers that lasted well over two months in the past. Oh, well..

nXD0rnLl.jpg

Fel2b18l.jpg

ip6e8wnl.jpg

and I crossed it with this one that belongs to a friend.

Another robust grower and reliable bloomer, but much smaller plant and better shaped flower in my opinion.

May there be lots of babies coming! :D

0PAMAAfl.jpg

Happypaphy, what is your winter low temp?

Troy, my low temp is higher than what you describes.

Maybe you just had a bad plant or otherwise a clone that preferred cooler conditions.

I know a bunch of people who grows spicerianum with min temp of over 60-65 and have great results.
This species must be either very tolerant or these people I know must have "easy" clones like mine.

All the habitat data of insigne and villosum suggests even lower temperature for not just winter but throughout the year.
I have bloomed both insigne and villosum. Especially, my insigne grew like weed in the years past.

The greenhouse where my friend's spicerianum grows, the low min is well above 60 in the winter.

I've seen a bunch of spicer at a few nurseries.
Not all were clumping and blooming like crazy, but vast majority were. so I think I can safely say that this species is both highly adaptable to certain degree and one must have a good clone that grows and blooms well.

Keep buying and one day you may end up with one that grows and blooms well for you, too. :)

Hmm.... I like spicerianum, preferrably paph bruno, the ones I had died, maybe I could try again, those just cost me 250.00 3 plants, thats why I've been reluctant to try again

Well, I'm sure you know, but Bruno is not spicerianum.
I think it has its merit, but I suspect some of this were passed as a spicerianum species with flat dorsal.

Bruno is quite rare it seems, and hence commands high price.
Last time I saw, over two years ago, a single growth plant was for $75.
So, your price wasn't too bad at all, I guess.

I love spicerianum and its hybrids, but Bruno looks so much like spicerianum but with flat dorsal, which is rather turn off for me.

Anyway, spicerianum should be easy to find. and not that expensive at all.
Orchid Inn list BS plant for just $30.

What happened to it??
Hopefully it would recover nicely.

This is my only spicer, but I have Hsinying Delight (spicer x Stone Lovely) that was a big clump that somehow fell apart into pieces and slowed down years ago. Then it slowed came back until this year, they are finally making a flower again with some growths.

I overwatered badly. I think I've learned my lesson:eek:

Latest posts

Back