Species or cross?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Magicboy

What is this? Species or cross?:confused:

Paphconcobell2.jpg

Paphconcobell3.jpg

Paphconcobell.jpg

At first glance I would say bellatulum.. But I think you have doubts because the mottling on the leaves look more like concolor... :) Is that right..? From my experience (3 dead bellatulums..:sob::sob:), I have yet to see one with such brightly patterned leaves...

At first glance I would say bellatulum.. But I think you have doubts because the mottling on the leaves look more like concolor... :) Is that right..? From my experience (3 dead bellatulums..:sob::sob:), I have yet to see one with such brightly patterned leaves...

I have a half dozen or more seedlings from a selfing I did a few years ago, and the variation in leaf color/patterning is pretty high. This is well within that variation.

Are the petals white, or are they light yellow ? (especially when they first opened up?) If they are white, I would be leaning towards Paph. bellatulum, but if they are a creamy yellow to light yellow I would be leaning towards Paph. wenshanense (fka conco-bellatulum). Also the foliage looks more like Paph. wenshanense, but it could also be the man made hybrid Paph. Conco-bellatulum.

Here is a picture of one of our bellatulum's (keep in mind there is a lot of variation in flower size/color within each group):

PaphbellatulumHotSpotsOL32081011200.jpg

one of our Paph. wenshanense:

Paphwenshanenseconco-bellatulum5x2-.jpg

the man made Paph. Conco-bellatulum:

PaphConco-bellatulum-close-4252006.jpg

Robert

Yes, I think I probably confused him even more...:poke: but with this group of orchids the variation within each species is very big, and the distinction from species to species is often blurry (especially if you look at say the bellatulum, wenshanense, concolor complex), and to make it harder if you don't know if it is a species or a hybrid it is often impossible to say what it is unless you do a DNA study. That is why it is always important to keep a label with the plant!

Robert

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I know for sure that it is a P. Concobell. The flower was creamy yellow when it opened.

FWIW: The first thing that came to mind when I saw the photo was that it wasn't quite right to be a pure bellatulum and that it looked more like a conco-ballatulum.

Are the petals white, or are they light yellow ? (especially when they first opened up?) If they are white, I would be leaning towards Paph. bellatulum, but if they are a creamy yellow to light yellow I would be leaning towards Paph. wenshanense (fka conco-bellatulum). Also the foliage looks more like Paph. wenshanense, but it could also be the man made hybrid Paph. Conco-bellatulum. Robert

Interesting! Great comparisons!

Back