Southern Japanese orchid assortment

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Well, spring is just about over in southern Japan. Here are a few plants that are flowering in my garden now. Some of these will be featured in the up and coming spring video series on my youtube channel as well. Enjoy.

Phaius flavus f. punctatus - the white flowered form

PhaiusFLALFLSBB.jpg

Bletilla striata cv. 'Soryu' - one of the "blue" cast varieties

SoryuFlBB.jpg

My big clump, grown for around 10 years now.

SoryuPLBB.jpg

Bletilla striata cv. 'Murasaki Shikibu' - the other famous "blue" cast variety

MurasakiShikibu3BB1.jpg

Amitostigma keiskei and Sellaginella tamariscina

AmtKeiBB.jpg

Dendrobium nobile hybrid - bought as an unnamed seedling growing in a crape myrtle.

HybrDendBB.jpg

I'm ordering some Bletilla but that top blue one is super-nice!! I have some nice Poneorchis coming up. :) Planting in inorganic media seems to be the key. :confused: Thanks for sharing.

Would any of these be hardy in zone 6b/7a (besides the bletilla, which are winter hardy)?

If you can grow Calanthe seiboldii, I'd say you have a chance with the Phaius if you give them some winter protection. Since the Amitostigma goes dormant, the trick is to keep them on the dry side, and not let the soil become completely frozen. It is found up through central Honshu, so should be quite hardy in places where the ground superficially freezes.

If you can grow Calanthe seiboldii, I'd say you have a chance with the Phaius if you give them some winter protection. Since the Amitostigma goes dormant, the trick is to keep them on the dry side, and not let the soil become completely frozen. It is found up through central Honshu, so should be quite hardy in places where the ground superficially freezes.

Thanks. I think the trick for keeping plants dry is to wrap them in a plastic garbage bag (like for my cyps), then bury in leaves.

Ugh, did a quick web search and can't find a US vendor for either plant (Fraiser in Canada does sell Amitostigma). Anyone know a US source?

Nice!
Do you get aphids?
Thanks.

Sorry Clark, missed your question - yes, Bletilla are aphid magnets! The only defense is to keep the ant population down somehow, or remove them with your hands. Spraying before the buds open is another option, but doesn't seem to do the trick if you have a lot of plants.

Ugh, did a quick web search and can't find a US vendor for either plant (Fraiser in Canada does sell Amitostigma). Anyone know a US source?

That is the perennial problem with lots of European, Australian, and Asian terrestrial orchids in the US - nobody sells them. I think there is no real market for them. Too bad. I saw some Amitostigma, Galearis and Ponerorchis in China that were awesome and very cold hardy.

Latest posts

Back