Something you don't see every day - Cryptopus paniculatus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, never seen such a flower before 👌 ........and you forgot to answer the question of its origin pre-emtively......but we have search engines......Madagascar.

It's an incredibly sensitive plant that can dehydrate and die in a matter of hours. Just shipping it priority overnight made it lose half its roots. #Cryptothallis lol

I'll take a pic of the whole plant tomorrow. Sang for a funeral this morning, then found out another friend died as well. Not a great day.

My growspace is in the basement, 6mil plastic attached to 2x4 framing, 1in thick foam insulation between the boards, lit by 400w metal halides, and there's a little space heater fan in there.

I love this genus - but I have found them (elatus and dissectus) to be really "twig" epiphytes. As it is warm enough in Durban, I set them free in a couple of azalea bushes where they rambled from twig to twig. I have never had success in the greenhouse or when placed on a "branch" or even on the truck of a tree fern.

PS - Make sure you have your glasses on when you prune your azalea ;-) I managed to decapitate a few.

JL

I love this genus - but I have found them (elatus and dissectus) to be really "twig" epiphytes. As it is warm enough in Durban, I set them free in a couple of azalea bushes where they rambled from twig to twig. I have never had success in the greenhouse or when placed on a "branch" or even on the truck of a tree fern.

PS - Make sure you have your glasses on when you prune your azalea ;-) I managed to decapitate a few.

JL

I'd do evil things for a dissectus!

Back