Some repotting sympathy?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I just want a bit of sympathy, since I've been repotting Paphs lately, and I hate it. The reason I hate it is because most of the ones I'm repotting, have root systems from hell!

Sure, lots of roots are always nice, but not when you have to insert the bark at the bottom of the pot, piece by piece, to create some space between said roots, and to make sure that no big airpockets are formed.

Each plant take about an hour to pot, since it's not the smallest Paphs I have either. I think my Delrosi broke the record by having a root system, so entwined, it looked more like a knot.

This is the one I'm repotting right now, my lovely vinicolor NoID (all the rotted roots have been trimmed away, btw):
283294.orig.jpg

Now I just need to find a pot to try and squeeze it into... :p

P.s. If you don't have any sympathy to spare, some cyber cookies work, too.

P.p.s Forgot to add; the majority of my Paph collection do NOT have root systems like this. It's just a coincident that so many of them need a repot now.

that plant looks awesome and super healthy!! great growing!!!

FYI my Delrosi's get really big root systems too. they are like trees!

One tip, plants with such a big root system appreciate a bigger pot to spread out their roots a little more. So you don't have to squeeze them back into the same small pot.

@ Justin: It seems quite happy in my care (yay for hybrids!), all that's lacking is for it to re-bloom, which I think it's working on.

Yeah, Delrosi seem to try and go for some "trickiest Paph to repot" award. How about putting all that energy into flowering, Mr/Mrs Delrosi? :poke:

Oh, I couldn't squeeze this one back into the pot it was even with a crowbar. It got a pot of the same height, but wider. I like them being pot bound, but there are some limits. :rollhappy:

@ Eric: I didn't. :p
So, I'll never get sympathy from you, since my collection will never breach a 100 plants?! :( :sob:

Gorgeous roots and that would make me soooo happy. After you've been
growing a few years, you'll have empty pots galore. I have clay pots
stashed everywhere ready for use. Sometimes, though, the exact size
I need seems elusive. Strange, ain't it???

@ abax: I already have that! My apartment will be taken over by pots in the future.

And yes, the right size can be impossible to find sometimes. I really wish they made the wider and lower pots, but then I would run out of space pretty darn quick.

Oh, I couldn't squeeze this one back into the pot it was even with a crowbar. It got a pot of the same height, but wider. I like them being pot bound, but there are some limits. :rollhappy:

[

that sounds about right. FYI my first Delrosi is finally in bud 8 years after being purchased as a multi-growth BS plant. so they will flower it just takes a LOT of patience!

Haha! I didn't say if, I said "when"!! :poke:
Haha! If I can, I want to get a 100, but only if I have the energy to care properly for them. :D

I thought I had around 66, but apparently I have 75 orchids. I wonder where those extra nine came from. :eek:

pour the mix in the top as you tap the pot on the bench - it settles the mix in between the roots
I regularly slam the pot on the bench while repotting (poor Paphs) but my mix is too coarse for that to work; it all just end up in the middle unless I'm nudging the pieces along.

Oh, well. Some of the Paphs are happy, so I guess it's worth the extra hassle. I prefer too many roots over not enough.

that sounds about right. FYI my first Delrosi is finally in bud 8 years after being purchased as a multi-growth BS plant. so they will flower it just takes a LOT of patience!
Eight years?! :eek: How many growths does it have? I'm really looking forward to your pictures later on.

When it comes to some Paphs, I have unlimited patience, and I can honestly say that I'm not counting on my Delrosi ever flowering. It's a beautiful plant nonetheless, so it's okay.

Latest posts

Back