Some Brachypetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rudolph, now that is special! I am distressed that it will be years if ever that I will be able to post something in the same league:(
This is definitely in NY Eric's fancy box! Being brachy he is unlikely to ask if it is scented though.:)

In these days with a long lasting spell of sunshine here in Germany I'm spending only few time in front of my computer. But today I decided to post the photos of the P. godefroyae album which I took already 4 weeks ago just few days after I posted the photo when it was in bud.
I hope you will enjoy them......even when it's belated.
BTW Hakone would call it 'P. leucochilum album' :poke:

paph_godefroyae_album_13.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_13_1.jpg

Meanwhile P. niveum and P. godefroyae are in flower and I will take the photos as soon as possible. So.....to be continued.

Sorry , is not paphiopedilum leucochilum album :D

It might be helpful to others who aren't as successful growing brachys if you could give us some cultural details.

1) what medium are you using and how often do you water?
2) what day and night temperatures do you recommend?
3) do you fertilize every time you water and what strength fertilizer?

Thanks

It might be helpful to others who aren't as successful growing brachys if you could give us some cultural details.

1) what medium are you using and how often do you water?
2) what day and night temperatures do you recommend?
3) do you fertilize every time you water and what strength fertilizer?

Thanks
Hi consettbay2003,
first of all I'm an indoor grower and I tried to find my own way of growing Paphs.
I grow all of my Paphs in the same inorganic medium. Its a mix of broken LECA and SERAMIS®. In my eyes the inorganic medium saves repottings due to the lack of decaying.
I water all my Paphs once a week.
I grow all of my Brachys on a west facing windowsill without any shade. Although some days the blind are down there's always a gap to leave the Brachys in the sun. In these summer days they get full sunlight for about 3-4 hours a day.
So far I haven't measured the temperatures but in full sunlight it gets hot.
From March to October I fertilize with every watering at a strenght of 100 - 120 µS.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. With the medium and frequency of watering you are using am I correct in assuming that your plants basically dry out between waterings? To get such a low uS reading how much fertilizer do you use? I'm assuming you use RO water?

......With the medium and frequency of watering you are using am I correct in assuming that your plants basically dry out between waterings?
It depends of the wheather - only during a spell of bright sunshine in summer they get quite dry but I don't think the pots dry out completely. In other times they stay more or less moist - like all my other Paphs.
To get such a low uS reading how much fertilizer do you use? I'm assuming you use RO water?
I use rain water (ca. 30-40 µS) and liquid fertilizer which I dose with a pipet.

To bring the story to an end here are the last two Brachy's which flowered to me this year.

Paph. niveum
paph_niveum_13.jpg

paph_niveum_13_1.jpg

Paph. godefroyae
paph_godefroyae_13.jpg

paph_godefroyae_13_1.jpg

Although this godefroyae isn't a dark type like others showed here before I'm pleased with it.
So far of my brachy's only P. concolor hasn't flowered in this year.

Latest posts

Back