So I have these terrestrials

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
So I have these terrestrials, Cynorkis fastigiata & Habenaria rhodocheila, in bloom. Sinse people say the Cynorkis seeds like a weed I'm thinking of trying to cross them; with the Cynorkis as a pod parent. Unfortunately I have almost no experience with the toothpick. Any advice?

P7042022.jpg

Cool both Eric!!!

I have no idea about where the pollen sacks are located in each species so that i could be of help!!! Good luck though... :)

Both plants have long spurs, I'm sure I'll find the pollen, the problem is finding the stigmatic surface; or does the pollen go into the spur? :confused:

No, the pollen doesn't goe into the spur. In Habernaria, the pollinia actually are granular, and the stigmatic srface is very sticky. You might want to dissect one of the flowers before you pollinate. Not certain about the Cynorkis.

Well you have a few flowers to play with, so I suggest you do what Brian says - take one of each with a good hand lens and explore. I've pollinated H. medusa before and it wasn't easy finding the stigmatic surface. The pollinia are at the very tip of the column in every orchid I've pollinated. You can use the rough and tumble approach by simply shoving them up and under the column. As long as they stick in there you have a shot at hitting your target.

Somehow this all reminds me of a 1950s Navy training film about condom use, especially when visiting ports of call overseas. The funny last line made by the commentator was, "stick it on before you stick it in" :clap::rollhappy::clap:

OOOOO YEAH!

end of the column, remove anther cap. pollen grains will be inside or could even come out with the cap.. careful. stigma should be below/behind the pollen holding area. if the flowers are fragrant, do it when they smell most (day/nite)..
good luck. dissecting a flower first is a good idea to, as was mentioned

This AM before I could do anything I see a piece of the pollen from the Habenaria stuck to the outside of the cynorkis! :eek: night bug or cat nosy-ness!? :mad:

Latest posts

Back