So he is going the the D.C. Paph Forum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not me, but last night I heard from Hadley that he was bringing a great Paph venustum for judging. It is the normal color form and he said it is larger than Fox Catcher and he hopes to get it awarded. So, keep an eye out for it. The petals are suppose to be wide and not swept back. I'd love to see a photo of it. Can anyone out there make my dreams come true?

Hi Bob,
Hope Hadley does well. Who is speaking this year?
Rob

Here the information that I could come up with:

2011 Paph Forum Speakers

Stig Dalström – Florida

The Wild Orchid Man, Taxonomist, and Artist
"A Slipper Cornucopia including, a Phrag. kovachii update; Cultural experiments with Phrag. besseae, "besseae"-delassandroi, fischerii, and andreetteanum; Successful cultivation of Cyps in Florida"
Dr. Norito Hasegawa – California

Paphanatics, unLimited
"What's New with Paphs"
Ron McHatton, PhD. – Florida

AOS COO and Director of Education
"New Approaches to Pest & Disease Control"
Bryan Ramsay – Maryland

National Capital AOS Judging Center
"Overview of Recent Slipper Awards"

Yeah, I saw that venustum on Tuesday (no photo, sorry). Two blossoms, very flat, and very large. 'Foxcatcher' had a natural spread of 7.4 cm, and this one has to be close to 10-12.

If Hadley doesn't get an fcc, I'll be stunned.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. Paph. venustum is one of our favorite species, and anytime a clone arises that challenges the superiority of `Foxcatcher' FCC/AOS, it's a red-letter day. It would be nice to have the award description posted here.

Thanks,

Hmmm.......I realize that size isn't everything, but I would think that if all else were equal, then this new venustum should have been an FCC if its that much bigger than "Foxcatcher".

Hi Tom

Hadley said that he would try to get a shot of the venustum. The following is what Hadley wrote to me about this plant. The flower description was "Two large, strongly colored flowers on 2, 22cm stems….” The listed dimensions were NS 12cm wide, dorsal 4.1cm x 4,1cm, petals 2.5cm (actually put 2.9cm incorrectly) x 6.4cm. I think it got an 83 point AM. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back