Small and compact or miniature paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdeprat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a beginner and was hoping that someone might be able to share with me what some small and compact or miniature paphs might be good for a window sill collection. I looked around for a size guide but didn't find anything like this. Thank you!

Where do you live? That will make a huge difference in terms of what would be available to you. But for starters, look at helenae, barbigerum, and fowliei.

Welcome to STF from NYC. Ross (Paphphreek) is working on small paph lines and I have read of lines of breeding using paph thaianum in taiwan which should come out small.

I have a Paph. delenatii. It has beautiful flowers and beautiful leaves and doesn't need alkaline medium like some other paphs. I also like Paph. Deperle and Paph. Gina Short.

Welcome tdepat! You've been getting some good recommendations!
What about Paphiopedilum purpuratum?
I'm not sure about this one, has anyone else had trouble with purpuratum? I will admit that the barbata section is not my favorite, they either grow well for me & bloom or they croak! There seems to be no in between.
There are plenty of hybrids using these small compact species but some of the plants don't remain compact depending on what they were crossed with. Some of my favorite are the helenae crosses but if crossed with a complex & that particular plant takes after the complex parent the plant will be larger than if it were taking after the helenae parent.

Latest posts

Back