Size Comparison

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Two vinis side by side.
They are lined up, and one is not behind of or in front of the other.
The smaller one is by no mean small as it is about the average typical size of this kind of hybrid.

The one next to it is 6 in across and the dorsal is 4 in.
The larger one was my favorite when it first bloomed last year, but it looks rather rough this time around.
The second picture shows the last bloom (and its first bloom) of the larger flower.

size_zpses9wnyqf.jpg

LD4_zpswv5bbyl9.jpeg

The smaller one is Danielle Comeaux, and the larger one is Hilo Leopard.
They both share Hsinying Rubyweb as one of the parents.

So leopards do ' change their spots'!:(
Previous flowering was very good. I have often seen the 'Maudiae' group change their flowers from one season to the next. Some seasons you find yourself wondering what you saw in the bloom the first time round. Certainly worth re flowering it.

The larger one may be curling because it's too big to circulate water to its segments. :eek: Oh well, thanks for sharing. Size comparison, this is not what I initially was thinking! :p :evil:

So leopards do ' change their spots'!:(
Previous flowering was very good. I have often seen the 'Maudiae' group change their flowers from one season to the next. Some seasons you find yourself wondering what you saw in the bloom the first time round. Certainly worth re flowering it.

Anything is possible, I guess given how complex these hybrids are.
Then, again, maudiae types flower quite consistently with some slight differences.
I have seen some real changes in bull dog paphs. lol

The larger one may be curling because it's too big to circulate water to its segments. :eek: Oh well, thanks for sharing. Size comparison, this is not what I initially was thinking! :p :evil:

That cannot be, because the bottom picture shows the first bloom of the same plant.
The flower was still very large and the shape stayed flat as in the picture for three months.

Hold on now. I have Maudiae 'Los Osos' and before my last divide it was in a 6 inch aircone with 15+ growths blooming three times a year. Every blooming the flowers where different. Dependent on environmental conditions for any blooming, Spring/winter being the best. So you can and will get big differences in flower color, shape and stem height all controlled (or not controled) conditions.

I do not think environmental conditions cause such differences (shape, color, stem height) based on my experiences, but rather a genetics or just random! lol

I say this because I rarely see stem length difference from bloom to bloom.
Actually some of my bulldogs had very short typical stem on first blooming and then on second blooming, some of them, not all, had more than doubled the length of the stem.

My Armeni White had its first flower barely above the foliage, like some bellatulum. I wanted to toss but waited, and since then it flowered many times and each time, the stem length was consistently long.
The bloom season was throughout the year.

Almost all maudiae type paphs I have, tend to have very long stem and consistent shape and color.
I have one Hilo Leopard that was good the first time blooming, and then the second blooming was so much better in shape. Stem length, color all the same.
I do see some slight drop or up in flower shape or overall quality from bloom to bloom, but mostly very minor.

This large vini is about the worst change I have seen. hahaha
I am waiting for the third bloom, and it has already started a new start.
I am not very patient with this plant though because it suffered brown rot on the leaves and I had to chop down many times to keep it at bay.
One more strike of rot this year, and I'm going to toss it.

Hold on now. I have Maudiae 'Los Osos' and before my last divide it was in a 6 inch aircone with 15+ growths blooming three times a year. Every blooming the flowers where different. Dependent on environmental conditions for any blooming, Spring/winter being the best. So you can and will get big differences in flower color, shape and stem height all controlled (or not controled) conditions.

Every time different?? That must be fun!

I have to agree with Rick, big differences from season to season on the same plant. I have a Makulii, some years great, others OK, some years distorted, others not, some years grows a horn on the pouch, others not, some years a flat dorsal and others badly recurred. I can only assume that I am a poor grower, (or preferred, a poor clone)

Latest posts

Back