Six Mile Cypress Slough

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Sunset

There is a gazebo, at the beginning of the boardwalk, that folks will gather to watch the birds come in to roost.
Most of the time, they fly in from behind. This view will be more white than green before dark.

I know, it is a little big for my monitor also.
But the smaller version wasn't cutting it either:)

It looks like in the background the bald cypress are dead? they should have leaves this time of year, the only green seems to be the kudzu, that invasive alien weed that eats entire forests in a season.

I am guessing. What is going on in the background there?

Leo-
The above image was taken in the month of February.
This was not part of the last trip.
We have visited Six Mile C.S. in May, but may not have an image of this scene to compare.
I'll look around.

Another thought- I'm not too keen on identifying plant stress.

It looks like in the background the bald cypress are dead? they should have leaves this time of year, the only green seems to be the kudzu, that invasive alien weed that eats entire forests in a season.

Leo-
The above image was taken in the month of February.
This was not part of the last trip.
We have visited Six Mile C.S. in May, but may not have an image of this scene to compare.
I'll look around.

Another thought- I'm not too keen on identifying plant stress.
Those were my thoughts, also, about the vine and dead trees. Do Cypress trees lose their leaves in Florida? Or isn't that Florida?

Sort of counterintuitive that Cypress would be deciduous in Florida.
Thanks Gilda!

When one is done at the gazebo, and before getting in car, check out the bird box that is closest to start of boardwalk.
The screech owl is a cutie.

Hey Leo, not likely to be kudzu in that wet habitat. If memory serves kudzu is found in Lee County, but not a major influence that far south in the state. More likely to be Mikania scandens, a native vine.

Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum) and pond cypress (T. ascendens) are deciduous throughout their ranges. The trees in the photo look to be latter species - they dominate the slough.

Very different scenery here. Everything is green, the water is low and the migrating birds have flown away. I wish the mosquitoes would do the same. :)

Thanks, beautiful picture, I did not realize that the photo was taken in February, as a winter scene, it makes sense.

I am relieved to hear there is a native vine that is likely the festooning drapery there. I was down south recently and was horrified at the kudzu overtaking the world as I went down I-55 to the delta region of Mississippi.

beautiful photos.

Thanks everybody!

Parking is a dollar/ hour.
A machine in parking lot takes the fee.
We usually get a 3 hr. ticket.

Back