Sic transit gloria mundi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wrote on a previous topic: main problem is not the illegal export...but...maybe this can protect these plants/ species from extinction... "Enjoy" these pics. She is just one collector from many.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-16-19-21-29-750_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-16-19-21-29-750_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2023-04-16-19-21-34-657_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-16-19-21-34-657_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1681665756283.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665756283.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1681665783237.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665783237.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1681665800400.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665800400.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1681665834921.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665834921.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1681665843386.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665843386.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1681665859750.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665859750.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1681665867574.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681665867574.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230416_192540.jpg
    IMG_20230416_192540.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 0
OmG that’s so tragic. The irony is that most of the leaves look so clean as if grown in nursery.

Like you I hope they survive and thrive after their journey.

And hope that the collectors left some adult plants behind besides the babies.

-Yes, cites laws prohibit only export of protected plants. Within country cites has no effect at all.
-If you belive or not, main export goes to China, Europe has just a tiny-tiny slice from illegal plant exports. I have no info if China has signed cites laws or has not.

So, we will be pilloried if we as an amateur accidentaly purchase a guaranteed lab grown plant - which may have originated from a single seed pod without CITES - but they are allowed to plunder nature on the spot until they are on the CITES Red List. maybe high time to review the CITES legislation?

.... they are allowed to plunder nature on the spot until they are on the CITES Red List. maybe high time to review the CITES legislation?
I don't know the Cites-regulations in detail, but I actually don't think they are allowed the plunder, that is if their country has ratified or acceded to the convention.
On the other hand, I guess, that a fair amount of the people collecting orchids in the forests, mountainous areas and a lot of unaccessible places in nature, aren't as well off, as some of us, who can allow ourselves the luxury of growing orchids, just for the fun of it!
One thing is law and regulation, but for places where illegal orchid collecting is one of a few ways to make ends meet for rather poor people, I think it's necessary to come up with an alternative way of making a living - as has been done some places in form of establishing nature parks, tended by some of the locals; conservation initiatives involving local people; or establishing local (maybe collectively or communally owned) orchid nurseries, run by local workforces, where they can grow orchids from seed, instead of depleting their own natural environment.

I don't know the Cites-regulations in detail, but I actually don't think they are allowed the plunder, that is if their country has ratified or acceded to the convention.
On the other hand, I guess, that a fair amount of the people collecting orchids in the forests, mountainous areas and a lot of unaccessible places in nature, aren't as well off, as some of us, who can allow ourselves the luxury of growing orchids, just for the fun of it!
One thing is law and regulation, but for places where illegal orchid collecting is one of a few ways to make ends meet for rather poor people, I think it's necessary to come up with an alternative way of making a living - as has been done some places in form of establishing nature parks, tended by some of the locals; conservation initiatives involving local people; or establishing local (maybe collectively or communally owned) orchid nurseries, run by local workforces, where they can grow orchids from seed, instead of depleting their own natural environment.
That is true Jens, and such work is been done in many countries. With animals and plants as well as forests. In tropical countries, if the rainforests are not protected by their own people, there is no place for plants to grow and for animals to live, or people.
It really hurts to see those plants, and as you said Jens, it brakes my heart too.
Looking those pics, the plants with mottled leaves have still roots. If they don't dry out completely, they have a chance. But those big plants, with green leaves, all the roots have been cut down. It's bad! And if they get scorched by the sun... 🥵🥴🙈

As far as I know.....Cites means Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora ....and rules the international trade of endangered species over country borders. Almost all countries of the world have ratified it. To plunder plants or animals from the wild habitat is ruled by national laws and those are different from country to country and also the surveillance is different from country to country..... So as long as plundered species won't be exported CITES has nothing to do with this problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back