Should I repot before winter really kicks off?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this paph just over a year ago from a local greenhouse and it's recently dropped 2 older fans over the last 2 months. Considering how slow they grow this is kinda worrying.... I've never repotted it and it's in a 3 inch pot.

Attachments

• 731AEB9C-BF33-4699-BC73-415DE314A6A6.jpeg
    731AEB9C-BF33-4699-BC73-415DE314A6A6.jpeg
    965.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CAE9DEB1-39A0-4F4C-B850-F8B288008080.jpeg
    CAE9DEB1-39A0-4F4C-B850-F8B288008080.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I agree. I don’t repot this time of year unless it is life or death.
If you think that that is the case, then repot. I repot my Paphs. every year in May. Every year.
I get to put them in fresh media, in a clean pot and I can inspect the roots!

Can you explain more about the growth loss? Has anything changed with your culture? How did the fans look before they dropped? Were they old or new growths? More information may guide whether repotting at this time of years is warranted or not. The growths could just be old. In which case, repotting is not necessary.

I am a delinquent and will repot certain things this time of year. However, the results are always better when repotting around the growing season. Most plants rebound more quickly and are less stressed when repotted closer to the growing season.

Can you explain more about the growth loss? Has anything changed with your culture? How did the fans look before they dropped? Were they old or new growths? More information may guide whether repotting at this time of years is warranted or not. The growths could just be old. In which case, repotting is not necessary.

I am a delinquent and will repot certain things this time of year. However, the results are always better when repotting around the growing season. Most plants rebound more quickly and are less stressed when repotted closer to the growing season.
Ever since I noticed the yellowing I've reduced watering cuz I don't want mold build up where the old leaves have died. The media is showing salt build up and the newest growth has had issues developing roots ie root stubs bc of humidity.

I don't know how much experience you have with Paphs and slippers in general, but are you referring to a previously bloomed growth? If you're new to slippers, just want to make sure that you know that after each growth blooms, that growth dies. New growths should rise from the base to take over for growths that have died off.

I repot slippers almost all year. I try to avoid the hottest months. I also grow without any natural light at all, so my plants shouldn't know what time of year it is.

The plant looks pretty healthy, the browned off part of the plant looks like an old fan that has already flowered. It is natural for the old fans that have bloomed to die back. So probably no urgent need to repot. If new growth starts to die back I would repot it immediately.

Generally we repot year round, except for multiflorals. They get repotted from May to September as they tend to slow down a bit in the cooler weather.

Dave

Latest posts

Back