Shin Yi Omar

Discussion in 'Paphiopedilum' started by Denver, Feb 27, 2016.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Feb 27, 2016 #1

Denver

Denver

Denver

Here is my Paph Shin Yi Omar (Saint Swithin 'Wallula' x William Ambler 'Dark Horse' AM/AOS)

I posted a preview of this in my philippinense thread and even though only the second flower is beginning to open I figured I would get other people's opinions on it.
    Being perfectly honest with myself, I am a little disappointed with it as I was hoping that with the double shot of roth the petals would be fairly horizontally held but they pretty much go straight down.
    It has good size with a 5.1cm dorsal and decent petal width at 1.25cm and I feel a bit rich for complaining about a plant that grows well and is spiking with 6 buds...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 27, 2016 #2

troy

troy

troy

It looks like there is kolo or randsii in it, nonetheless congrats on the blooming!!

3. Feb 27, 2016 #3

emydura

emydura

emydura

That is the luck of the draw with these more complex multi hybrids. This cross will have so much variation. Unfortunately not a lot of the roths has come through while I can see a hell a lot of phillipinense (petal stance, pouch colour., flower count). You can especially see the wilhelminiae in the petals.

I disagree with Troy on the kolo and the randsii influence. I think the label is true. You just lucked out a bit. Still with 6 flowers open I'm sure it will still look a sight.

4. Feb 27, 2016 #4

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Not what I was expecting either. I agree with David, not much roth in this one.

5. Feb 27, 2016 #5

Denver

Denver

Denver

yeah, funny thing is that this one has a stronger roth fragrance than any of my roths. Normally I can only smell a roth if I put my face up to the flower, this one I can smell from about 2 feet away.

6. Feb 28, 2016 #6

GuRu

GuRu

GuRu

experienced greenhorn

Nice flowers.....and they would look much better if the colouration of the flowers and the background wasn't almost identically.

7. Feb 29, 2016 #7

Draft saved Draft deleted