Sheath question - Paph. Magic Mountain

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo_Jo

Catt's Meow
Reaction score
This is the first Paph. I've had where the bud has emerged encased in a sheath. The sheath is open at the bottom, but I can't figure out how the bud is going to get out. I've been tempted to help it out, or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to wreck the bloom. :confused:

IMG_1291.jpg

Joanne,

Leave it be. The flower bud will grow its' way out of the sheath. Perfectly normal happening.

I'm (and I'm sure you are too) looking forward to seeing the flower. These can be big, beautiful greens. Congrats and good luck.

charlie c

Thanks, I really wasn't sure. Every other Paph I have had just had a smaller leaf-like sheath, if you know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure there's another spike coming too...:D

This thing is going to be huge...can't believe I worried about this monster not being able to fight it's way out of it's sheath. :crazy:

IMG_1394.jpg

Another with more of the plant:

IMG_1397.jpg

That's a big bright green flower! Very pretty.

btw The bud was coming from/through a bract rather than a sheath. The term sheath is typically used for a modified leaf structure that stays attached to the crown of the plant, even after the spike pushes up past it.

btw The bud was coming from/through a bract rather than a sheath. The term sheath is typically used for a modified leaf structure that stays attached to the crown of the plant, even after the spike pushes up past it.

Thank you Rick - I didn't know that.

Latest posts

Back