Sending my search overseas now Paph mohrianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Billie

Hello All -
I'm in search of some pollen from paph mohrianum--can not find any here in Australia -does anyone have this plant coming into flower anywhere please ? this plant is almost impossile to self and get vairible seed i've been told . Hope someone can help Thanks
Billie

Billie,

Sorry, none of that pollen here... the closest I can get you is Paph. mastersianum pollen, maybe in January though... =(

I believe that it is more correctly known as Paph. mastersianum var. mohrianum... out of curiosity, can you post a picture of the leaves and flower?

-P.A. Mahon

The bud is not open yet -but

I sent Stephan a picture of flower its on his info slippers website .
today I'll take a pic and send Heather -also when it opens -- thanks anyhow for your answer .
Billie

Good luck with the search, Billie!

I think P. mohrianum is still extremely rare in cultivation. I've never even heard of anyone having it here in the US.

As for its current status, Braem (2003) calls it Paph. mohrianum and Cribb (1998) calls in Paph. x mohrianum with a proposed parentage of P. bullenianum var. celebesense x P. javanicum. He provides no evidence though and P. bullenianum var. celebesense isn't even found on Flores, where Paph. mohrianum is found.

I have never heard it referred to as a variety of P. mastersianum. It looks like it's most closely related to P. bullenianum to me, although maybe it's a hybrid between bullenianum and mastersianum.

--Stephen

Photos from Billie:
dscn0654eq7.jpg

dscn0657ai4.jpg

dscn0661jx0.jpg

lateoct03035io1.jpg

silence882 said:
... I've never even heard of anyone having it here in the US.

As for its current status, Braem (2003) calls it Paph. mohrianum and Cribb (1998) calls in Paph. x mohrianum with a proposed parentage of P. bullenianum var. celebesense x P. javanicum. He provides no evidence though and P. bullenianum var. celebesense isn't even found on Flores, where Paph. mohrianum is found.

I have never heard it referred to as a variety of P. mastersianum. It looks like it's most closely related to P. bullenianum to me, although maybe it's a hybrid between bullenianum and mastersianum.

--Stephen

i hadn't seen it other than a while ago somewhere, but Piping Rock's got 'em.
i've only seen it allied to mastersianum, but never entirely understood why. can't quite see the connection between the one i saw in, i think, cribb's book and bullenianum either....

We have 2 plants that are labeled as Paph. mohrianum. I have sibbed them, but have not got them to germinate yet.

Here are pics:

mohrtwo.jpg

Mohrone.jpg

and the foliage:

MohrFoliage.jpg

Robert

well i am back in a state of confusion.

Billie's flower looks like the photo in Braem & Chiron (2003, p.228) and Cribb (1998, p. 291).

Robert, your flowers looks more like Paph. Xanthophyllum (hookerae x mastersianum) to me.

I don't have the original description though, so my brain will have to stay in limbo until I get it...

--Stephen

I agree, our plants look different....I am not sure what the origin of our plants are either....It could be that they are mislabeled too.....

Thanks people

Well this is going to be hard -either way -i known mine came from a flaskfrom a plant brought into Austral ia before cities late 80's early 90's Wayne Turville had them for sale in 91. I traced it back that far -- but I was told that they were hard to get seed from a selfing -- this seems to be borne out by what Robert says - Ihave one other little plant it is the new growth of the one that flowered in pic that was 2 years ago . Do I chance selfing this new bud -or wait ? the leaves on this plant are really pretty -i notice the other plant is the same leaves - when new bud opens I'llpost a fresh pic .
again thanks for all info Billie

I would vote for trying the selfing if pollen from another plant can't be found.

If the species as a whole shows poor germination when crossed or selfed, it could be evidence for Paph. mohrianum being a natural hybrid. The species in its section (Section Barbata / Subgenus Sigmatopetalum) have chromosome numbers that vary from 2n = 28 to 2n = 44. An intrasectional primary hybrid in this group has a much better chance of showing very low fertility than intrasectional primary hybrids in groups where all or nearly all the species have the same chromosome number (2n = 26).

--Stephen

Latest posts

Back