Selenipedium palmifolium in flower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try to grow that... Don't know that I've ever seen Selenipedium offered for sale. The reputation is that they are all meters tall. That one could easily fit under my lights.

Hi everyone, so the thing is I live in French Guiana and this plant is endemic to the Guiana plateau. Basically it grows naturally here. Yet it still is a rare plants and few have found one (when not in flower, they are nearly impossible to see in the middle of the dense vegetation). This plant was giving to me a few month ago by a friend. I does not appear to be particularly difficult to grow so far. Time will tell. In French Guiana, we also have Selenipedium aucourdianum that is red (pictures taken by the jardin botanique de Guyane). I will try to find this species in the future.
1710461399182.png

All selenipediums are extremely rare and impossible to keep them alive for years. I have never seen only one man who had a strong, multigrowth plant kept it in GH. Most common spec. is aequinoctiale , Mundiflora and Ecuagenera had few but they don t offer plants for a few years.

Back