Seeking Cdn Source for Phrag flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ladies & gents.

I've been drooling over Chuck Acker's plants for a few years and agree with Orchideya about the var flavum x germany.

I too would like to get a hold of Sam's list but must plead ignorance as I've been living in isolation far too long!

Another Cdn. source that comes to mind is Paramount Orchids (used to be in Alberta but now have a single nursery in BC. While they mostly sell plants they will have some flasks available by late May to early June. I have not ordered from them before but do know a few folks in Alberta that are happy purchasers.

Hi John, I emailed CFIA because I am looking to get some orchid bark and looking to get those 2 cubic foot bags. I was willing to drive to the US and get some there so I inquired on permits, etc. I got this reply and I'm quoting it

So I think we still need Phytosanitary but you don't have to apply and pay for the permit. It's much harder getting an orchid bark for substrate!

Your Canadian official wasn't talking about Phrags or anything CITES listed.
They were talking about orchids that are not CITES listed.

You do need to have a CITES export permit and CITES import permit to transport Phrags across international borders, unless they are in flask.

Your Canadian official wasn't talking about Phrags or anything CITES listed.
They were talking about orchids that are not CITES listed.

You do need to have a CITES export permit and CITES import permit to transport Phrags across international borders, unless they are in flask.

So, if I travel to States, get there couple flasks and go back to Canada - I don't need any docs or permits for those flasks or I still need import permit and sanitary certificate?

I am talking only flasks, no plants, no bark, no moss.

What I was hoping was maybe finally clarified was the definition of "houseplant" vs. "orchid". Of course, orchids ARE houseplants, these days. The rules for houseplants seem to be more lax; but, without something in writing, anybody with houseplants or orchids is taking a chance if they don't have all the paperwork done.

John you sparked my interest in the import definitions so I read through the Canadian regulations. Orchids are not considered Houseplants" under import rules. Generally all wild orchids are CITES listed so all orchid plants are separated from "Houseplants" and classed as "Orchids". In the Canadian regs it refers to Houseplants and Orchids separately (on purpose). The regs give examples of plants that are considered houseplants and orchids are not listed.

Canada allows you to personally carry in 50 houseplants for your own private non commercial use without a permit but that rule is not intended to include orchids. Trying to bend that rule is high risk.

So, if I travel to States, get there couple flasks and go back to Canada - I don't need any docs or permits for those flasks or I still need import permit and sanitary certificate?

I am talking only flasks, no plants, no bark, no moss.

You need a phytosanitary certificate.

People assume that the phytosanitary certificate is only a certificate declaring the plants are pest free but it also is the document that states the identification of the plants being imported. The certificate is what the border inspector can use to know if the flasks contain orchids or marijuana....don't expect them to actually know the difference!

Back