Seedlings from an old friend

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first got into paphs. my main source of plants was from Thanh, at Springwater Orchids. I just couldn't wait until I received his next price list. I've had the pleasure of running into Thanh at a couple of different orchid events over the last few years. However I found myself buying less and less from Springwater orchids. We start finding ourselves looking for the best of the best orchids and sort of change our buying habits. That usually, means more expensive orchids. Are they better? Some times yes, some times no. Well the other day I found myself e-mailing and talking to Thanh after receiving his latest price list. I finally ended up buying 4 compots. I decided to buy them as he said they where 3 or 4 inch leaf spans and the maudies where near blooming size. The arrived today and Donna sent me the following photo. Mind you this was just a quick click of the camera for Donna to show me what arrived.

Picture-2.jpg

As you can see in back is the maudie compot, if you can call it that. One of the plants is in high bud and another is in sheath. The cross is (Bloody Jack x Flame Arrow) x Maudie Raven. I believe Sam at Orchid Inn has some seedlings of this for sale. In the front row from left to right is a compot of concolor with one of the six plants in high bud. The middle compot is a second compot of concolor with 2.5 to 4 inch leaf spans. There is 7 or 8 plants of varying sizes in that one. One the right is bellatulum 'Raingreen' x 'Amber' with 6 or 7 plants in it. I've known Thanh for quite some time, so let him pick the maudie compot of his choice. I'm sure he has also sold me some of his largest compots. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I'll enjoy growing them.

Last edited:
i buy compots from him too, very nice...just received Michael Koop x gardineri and purchased another , roth hybrid today

Ed, I understand just last Thurs or Friday that he released compots of:

>Louise Jennigan (roths x Wellesleyanum)
>Michael Koppowitz x Paul Parks

The Louise Jennigan had me thinking but thought I might just start off slowly with something that I could bring to maturity quicker.

Don, yes I got a very fair price. He's a friend, so I believe he gave me a slightly better deal than the average person. You can e-mail him and he will send you his price list. Matter a fact, I can even send you a copy if you give me an e-mail address. He's a starigt shooter. He'll photograph the compots or plants before shipping on request.

I met Thanh this past Spring at Redlands -- he has great integrity and great plants. Over the past two or three years, I've gotten lots of plants, including flasks, and will say his prices are fair. His lists are always tempting!

I've gotten many very nice plants from him in the past.

I'm on his list and agree it is always tempting!

I have always been happy with Thanh's plants. He has always sent me the best of the plants he could find. I once bought a "niveum" from him. As it grew, it clearly was not a niveum. When it finally bloomed last year, it turned out to be Vanda M Pearman. I sent Thanh a picture of it...and he sent me a multigrowth, budded niveum...which just got through blooming again just a few months later. The guy has class!

Ed, I understand just last Thurs or Friday that he released compots of:

>Louise Jennigan (roths x Wellesleyanum)
>Michael Koppowitz x Paul Parks

The Louise Jennigan had me thinking but thought I might just start off slowly with something that I could bring to maturity quicker.

Don, yes I got a very fair price. He's a friend, so I believe he gave me a slightly better deal than the average person. You can e-mail him and he will send you his price list. Matter a fact, I can even send you a copy if you give me an e-mail address. He's a starigt shooter. He'll photograph the compots or plants before shipping on request.
I bought
MK x gardineri
Luise Jennigan
havent seen MK x PP

The look like very happy seedlings, hope they grow well for you. Too bad that there are no breeders in europe as far as I know that offer compots. Allthough I've got some good contacts I will probably be able to arrange something if the need arrises.

Thahn is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and always has great plants. almost too many to pick from.

Back