Sandy Hook- Some Shots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Enjoy the sounds while these load up-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQRcgp1lahY&feature=related

These are all over the place. On the way out, there was a group shooting this, so I thought to include.

American Oystercatcher

Black-bellied Plover with Sanderlings in background.

Sanderlings picking away as waves recede.

Close-up. Not sure who was more curious.

NOID, maybe someone would be kind enough to clue me in on this one. There where only two on the beach.

This will be a dynamic thread for this area. Hopefully make it back in a couple of weeks, as I have heard it gets better.
Thanks for looking. :)

Great photos Clark!
If someone else wants to move it I'll leave it up to them, I think it could go either way. Some of us need some help with geography, where about is Sandy Hook? One never quite knows with you & Christine where the next adventure will take you! :)

Cool, can you swim there? I'm getting ready for New Years dip! :p At least if yo uget too close the worst you could get is a peck and some poop on your shpoulder instead of being antlered!

Sandy Hook is basically where the shore(ocean) starts in New Jersey.
The tip of Sandy Hook(north end), is where the Raritan Bay stops, and the Atlantic begins.
At 5:30am, the entrance is 20minutes south of us, but 40minutes with normal traffic.

Christine skipped this one, I let her sleep in last Saturday. :)

Eric- I'm laughing. After this I stopped at Matawan Creek, the peck and poo was more likely there, as a goose came right up to me(i thought this was going to be territorial), stared me down, then left w/o drama.
In hindsight, it was might of been thinking I was going to feed it.
This is him/her(i didn't look :( ). Inches from my feet.
Top of the eyes-cloudy day.
Bottom of eyes- retaining wall that my back is against.
sunam012shopped.jpg

Nice pics Clark. I should get out more often, if only I could. The last time I saw the sea was in Virginia Beach, more than 30 years ago. :)

:clap::clap:Great shots,Clark!! You have an amazing eye for photography! Can't wait to see more!

Lovely shots. I get a kick out of how curious birds can be. They'll hide, but then they have to come out and take a look at you. Like they can't help themselves.

Awesome! Breathtaking! I never tire of gorgeous photography such as yours. The birds are amazing, the sun is divine over that spectacular water, and those fruited cacti are really very beautiful! I didn't know they grew on or near the beaches of New Jersey. Do you know if they are native or an imported (possibly invasive?) species?

Last edited:
Thank you. :)
I don't know the history of the cacti. It was there for at least 35yrs., my father brought us there as youngsters.
Certain I have seen it at Island Beach State Park also.
I have seen it grown in some of the residential neighborhoods nearby.

Another interesting item, unseen, are the sea horses within the Raritan Bay.
Very close to shore, I have seen in seine nets. A jaw dropper for me.

:eek: I can't imagine!!!

Though I haven't seen the sea for a long time, I have very fond memories of crossing the Mediterranean a couple of times on ferry ships. Once to Egypt and another time to Italy through the port of Brindisi. Out of Corfu, we sailed through a fierce storm with high waves, strong winds, thunder and lightning. I spent the whole storm holding on to the rail outside on the deck having the fun of my life. :rollhappy: And never got sea sick.

That cactus is our native Opuntia humifusa. It grows all over the upper beach in Cutchogue. I have it growing at my summer house their, and also had them here until they got too shaded. They are very hardy and easy to keep.

That cactus is our native Opuntia humifusa. It grows all over the upper beach in Cutchogue. I have it growing at my summer house their, and also had them here until they got too shaded. They are very hardy and easy to keep.
I like them! :clap:

Though I haven't seen the sea for a long time, I have very fond memories of crossing the Mediterranean a couple of times on ferry ships. Once to Egypt and another time to Italy through the port of Brindisi. Out of Corfu, we sailed through a fierce storm with high waves, strong winds, thunder and lightning. I spent the whole storm holding on to the rail outside on the deck having the fun of my life. :rollhappy: And never got sea sick.
I'm not the best swimmer but I cant imagine not going to the beach a few times a year. Next year you're invited to Coney Island for the US Independence day, or for New Years to swim w/ the Polar Bear club.:D

That cactus is our native Opuntia humifusa. It grows all over the upper beach in Cutchogue. I have it growing at my summer house their, and also had them here until they got too shaded.
I guess you can try them again in Qns. now! :evil:

Latest posts

Back