Birding with Clark at Sandy Hook

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend I went down to NJ to meet up with Clark, so that we could head over to the NYC Century Bike Tour, which was sunday the 18th. We had a good time, and the next morning Clark had the idea that we could drive over to Sandy Hook where he has taken quite a few excellent pictures of birds and other things. He told me about the different shore birds that he'd seen there, and other details about the old Fort Hancock that used to protect NYC Harbor in both WW's 1 and 2, and afterwards during the Cold War. It sounded pretty interesting, and though I'm not generally a birder I appreciate seeing different things/birds or whatever so decided to head to the beach.

Clark was looking around for different birds and not seeing much, and I was looking at shells and digging in the sand where bubbles were coming up after the waves had receded (I thought I might have clams for dinner ;) ). He didn't think there were too many interesting birds (just lots of seagulls and distant, flying osprey), so we walked towards a dune area where beyond he had seen dippers and skimmers and all of those other beach birds. One of us spotted what looked like a raptor sitting on a log, facing the water watching the gulls etc, so Clark decided that we would try taking a few pictures while slowly sneaking up on it. It's back was to us, so it didn't really see us on the other side of the short dune. Clark thought at first it was an osprey, and since I don't look at bird books too much lately, didn't know any differently. We took a few pictures and slowly inched forward, exchanged cameras, and then Clark said "Dude, you are sooo lucky! I think that's a Peregrine Falcon!". I thought, 'well, that's cool!' Clark had told me that he'd only seen one a few times before, usually flying low and very fast, not really allowing for any decent pictures. It was very content to sit on the log, looking around, for quite a while! We were both surprised that it didn't bolt at any time, until a little later a couple came walking along the dune and it flew off a short distance. Interestingly, when it flew away it headed towards a small cove and harassed a few of the gulls that were sitting on the water. They all flinched, but none tried to fly away and eventually the falcon flew off when the couple approached it's perch.

I took some pics with my camera and one of clark's lenses, he took some with his camera and then we switched cameras.

Clarks' pics

clarkraptor911a.JPG

peregrine falcon preening (his camera)

raptor911c.JPG

pic of verrazano-narrows bridge, coast guard cutter, me (my camera)

clarkraptor911b.JPG

peregrine watching birds fly overhead

clarkraptor911c.JPG

me looking through clark's camera

clarkraptor911d.JPG

clark's pic of the bird and I looking at each other (that's my ear to the left)

My pics

raptor911a.JPG

bird, surf and brooklyn

raptor911b.JPG

my camera (grass is waving in between, causing blurs)

raptor911b2.JPG

raptor911g.JPG

falcon sizing up seagull for the freezer

raptor911d.JPG

falcon stretching after long siesta
clark's camera

raptor911d2.JPG

preening after stretch; sees couple walking towards beach
clark's camera

raptor911e.JPG

taking off

raptor911f.JPG

turning to harass the seagulls; they are just becoming aware that it's headed their way

I was watching a youtube video the other night about peregrine falcons as it
turns out! It said that after ww2, peregrine falcons on the east coast were
very few, and the gene pool severely depleted. as a result, conservation groups
decided to raise some captive falcons from other regions and introduce them
into the east coast populations. Peregrines have now rebounded very nicely,
but there are many intermediate forms between the former eastern forms
and other western and northern species. Some groups think that this is
blasphemous, but I don't think the birds care and are happy to be alive!

there are some other Sandy Hook pics that i'll include in a follow-up post

a few more pics around fort hancock/sandy hook

I have a few pictures of mostly non-avian interesting things also found around Fort Hancock and the beach at Sandy Hook

shookother911a.JPG

a nice colony of native opuntia (clark has posted pics of the same plant)

shookother911b.JPG

great blue heron in one of the tidal marshes

shookother911c.JPG

a very large, very prehistoric looking horseshoe crab shell

shookother911d.JPG

the old lighthouse at the fort

hancockgreene911.JPG

a true example of green energy! (a tree growing out of one of the
barracks' chimneys at the old fort hancock) :D

Nice photos Charles. They are not easy to get close to. Love the one where it is stretching in particular.

This species was particularly affected by DDT poisoning and it numbers crashed right across the world. Not so bad in Australia though. Australia is considered the Peregrine Falcons last great stronghold. I regularly see them in Canberra, often from my workplace window. I never tire of sighting one. They are the most magnificent fliers.

David

I've heard stories that the NJ/NY DOT used to use Limulus (horseshoe crab) shells in their concrete for the highways (particularly the NJ turnpike) because they used to wash onto shore in massive quantities.

Is that true???

The horseshoe crab thing seems to be false.
When the story was told to Christine and I(3rd or 4th grade), it was seashells.

The old sandpits were close to the bay, that's it.
One sandpit, was/is loaded with amber. And fossils...

Back