Sanderianum with yellowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone I just got this sanderianum and one leaf has this yellow. If anyone knows what it is or how to deal with it please let me know!!! Thanks

Attachments

• 20230620_154011.jpg
    20230620_154011.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_153941.jpg
    20230620_153941.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_153939.jpg
    20230620_153939.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_153933.jpg
    20230620_153933.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_153931.jpg
    20230620_153931.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_153919.jpg
    20230620_153919.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I would watch it pretty closely but if it turns out to be something serious, that is a bad location. Had it been further up the plant and it turned really bad, you could cut out the potential problem.
You might try fertilizing it a bit more then you usually do. Maybe you can get a new growth or 2 to sprout and provide something going forward.
Let’s hope it is just an anomaly and nothing more happens.

I agree with bigCat. I've seen plants killed by something (erwinia maybe?) that causes similar symptoms, but I also seen plants (including sanderianums) have this and seem to do just fine. Keep a close eye on it and make sure to optimize the basic growing conditions. Hopefully you have decent air flow around the plant while maintaining good humidity.

I agree with bigCat. I've seen plants killed by something (erwinia maybe?) that causes similar symptoms, but I also seen plants (including sanderianums) have this and seem to do just fine. Keep a close eye on it and make sure to optimize the basic growing conditions. Hopefully you have decent air flow around the plant while maintaining good humidity.
It seems to be hard and not soft like as if it was to be rotting. The seller said that it should be fine but to keep it on the dryer side. It is currently in moss and it seems kind of dense.

I just looked at it and it kind of fell out of the pot there is an ok root but the others are a bit rough. I got it from normans orchids as an experiment, I know I know lol. He says not to repot but it might be better in bark. Or should I try to get a better one? Thanks

Attachments

• 20230620_214300.jpg
    20230620_214300.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_214103.jpg
    20230620_214103.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_214059.jpg
    20230620_214059.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Get that plant out of that moss!!! To label that as moss is digusting and wrong.
As far as which media to put it into next, I would choose a blend of orchiata or fir bark, charcoal and perlite. If few live roots are present go with a finer mix favoring seedling grade. Lots of roots go half medium grade and half seedling.
Here is what good moss looks like. Your plants’ media is old, breaking down and possibly too acidic. Use a smaller pot then what you normally would use.EB594304-65E8-49B2-B103-DC30DD29C3EA.jpeg

Largest grade orchiata & #4 perlite, mixed 40/60, to this, add 20% rexius bark or bagged orchid mix from lowes/home depot to balance acidity. Pot up, then top dress with oyster shell, cherrystone grit from the farm supply store (granite gravel) and yellow quartz play sand. Finally, add a thin layer of moss. Keep very warm and water every 3-4 days with kelp extract at every watering for the first few weeks. It will explode with roots. Ignore any guarantees that require you to keep it in that slop for a month, as anyone with that stipulation will find another excuse not to reimburse you, anyway.

Largest grade orchiata & #4 perlite, mixed 40/60, to this, add 20% rexius bark or bagged orchid mix from lowes/home depot to balance acidity. Pot up, then top dress with oyster shell, cherrystone grit from the farm supply store (granite gravel) and yellow quartz play sand. Finally, add a thin layer of moss. Keep very warm and water every 3-4 days with kelp extract at every watering for the first few weeks. It will explode with roots. Ignore any guarantees that require you to keep it in that slop for a month, as anyone with that stipulation will find another excuse not to reimburse you, anyway.
Hi there!!! I have medium orchiata bark, oister shells, might have some merical grow bark, perlight large, and moss. The sand and cherrystone grit I do not have. Is there substitutes for the cherrystone? Also if I leav out the cherry and sand is that fine? I have kelpmax and a heat mat. Should I put it directly on the heat mat for seedlings? Thank you so much and I am geting anxious just looking at this moss.

I wonder if I took a carrot peeler and took that yellow off, if that would be a good way to get rid of it, or would it kill the plant?

I would not take a peeled to the plant. That would open it up to more infections for sure. Do you have dragon's blood? If so, you could apply it to the discolored area. If not, a sprinkle of cinnamon will help to dry things out if there is moisture from an infection. Neither dragon's blood nor cinnamon will harm it if no infections are present.

I wonder if I took a carrot peeler and took that yellow off, if that would be a good way to get rid of it, or would it kill the plant?
This would be the worst you can do!
Follow Darlene's advice with dragonblood or Cinnamon powder...I always use a Cinnamone/water lotion (a drop of dishwashin detergent helps to mix Cinnamon powder and water quite quickly) and apply it with a small paintbrush. So it goes even between the leaves in their axils.

If you slice into or cut into that tissue and it is NOT a rot, you have injured it for no reason!! Bad idea.
If you slice into or cut into that tissue and it is ROT, you have spread it around. Also a BAD idea.
You are trying to “close the barn door after the horse got out”. That won’t help. Just be patient and see what happens. What if it turns out to be a harmless discoloration?
A better solution for a $200 dollar bad outcome would be not to repeat it if you can.
In the meantime, join e-bay and search for sanderianum or anything else that might crop up. I do it all the time. I hang out there all the time. Most vendors supply images of the particular plant they are offering. You can see if there is an issue beforehand. Without a specific image, I won’t purchase the plant!!!

Well, the biggest problem I see is that the plant seems to have little to no roots left. Just a few short, troubled ones after most have been rotted away. I would not accept a plant in these conditions.
Start with a healthy strong plant.
A seedling half that size should have a few long healthy roots.

Last edited:
With Normans recent reputation, is that even possible?
But return it is certainly an option but what if he has no more? What if he claims a lack of responsibility? But hopefully $200 is back in your pocket.

Well, if no replacement, at least money back or store credit. Any good responsible business would do it.
I don't really believe in reputation, good or bad. It is case by case. I get a poor unacceptable plant, I don't get angry as long as the situation is properly resolved. Sure, inconvenient and disappointing, but I totally understand it can happen when you grow so many plants in a greenhouse. It's just how a vendor deals with the issues.
Regarding this particular vendor, I just had enough in the past so I'm done with them. I can get what I want elsewhere with trust that any issues would be respectfully and pleasantly addressed without any anxiety/worries/frowns.
And fortunately, I rarely had any problems with getting good plants. I can count less than ten and I have bought quite a few plants over the years.
Back to the original poster, I hope you get your replacement or money back.

Hi there!!! I have medium orchiata bark, oister shells, might have some merical grow bark, perlight large, and moss. The sand and cherrystone grit I do not have. Is there substitutes for the cherrystone? Also if I leav out the cherry and sand is that fine? I have kelpmax and a heat mat. Should I put it directly on the heat mat for seedlings? Thank you so much and I am geting anxious just looking at this moss.
You can get cherrystone grit at any farm supply store that sells chicken feed. Yellow play sand can be had at any hardware store, but neither of these is anywhere as critical as getting it into fresh mix. I'm not fond of heat mats for Paphs, they seem to like the roots to be cooler than the leaves, not hotter.

Latest posts

Back