Rust orange spotted flecks on leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Reaction score
Hey crew I'm having a hell of a time with this orange spotting on the leaves of my paphs. I have no idea what it is or how to stop it. What's worse is its affected all my paphs. See the images of this badly affected sukuhuli.

I purchased it from Sam at Orchid Inn.

Attachments

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Have you contacted Sam about this problem? I'm sure he'd have some suggestions.

Reaction score
I'm actually talking to him right now lol. He wants culture specifics like crazy. Will post when. I find out more.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it is an infection - probably fungal, but maybe not. I believe that a copper-based treatment is the way to go, as it covers fungi and bacteria.

Reaction score
I appreciate it guys! You're the experts. For the time being Sam at Orchid Inn and David at Paph paradise told me to drench or spray it weekly with hydrogen peroxide for 2-3 weeks. Will let you know bit so far I haven't seen any changes.

SouthPark

Reaction score
I'm with Ray on that one. I had something like that develop on one of my juvenile paphs, which was certainly and absolutely spreading. A spray of copper solution stopped it in its tracks. And the juvenile paph is doing excellently after that episode. Hard to say what started it though, as the leaves of my paphs are never wet. But spider mites are definitely hanging around. My juvenile paph didn't get the spotting near the base though. Just got it on the regular portions of its leaves. But it's all good now.

Reaction score
Update: Treated with Physan, Thiomyl, Copper, and Hydrogen Peroxide and nothing worked! I put the afflicted paphs outside so they have plenty of air movement. They have all become very poor growers. Only producing new sprouts when the previous leaf is stuck at a newborn size of an inch. Will let you know if I find anything else out. Contacting Norman at Orchids.com

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
I believe it is an infection - probably fungal, but maybe not. I believe that a copper-based treatment is the way to go, as it covers fungi and bacteria.
I agree, it's either a bacterial (higher probability) or a fungal infection. Have a look at Orchid diseases (English) or Orchideen Krankheiten (German) and you will find a lot of information, photos and help of the treatment.

Latest posts