Quantcast

Ron Burch (Fundolopanchax) to Speak on Cypripediums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

D

dustywoman

Guest
Heather,

Can non-members attend? I'd love to hear him. I don't mind paying an admission fee.
 

likespaphs

some call me brian
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
5,239
Reaction score
13
Location
Cape Cod
i'm hoping he'll be able to speak at my society soon. i sent him a pm somewhere but haven't heard back from him yet...
 
D

dustywoman

Guest
Hey Heather,

I'm looking forward to it. Just hope I can muddle thru the directions. :confused:

It sounds really interesting.

Can non-members bring plants for show & tell?

I'm looking forward to seeing you again and to meeting Ron.
 

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
10,483
Reaction score
16
Location
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
dustywoman said:
Hey Heather,

I'm looking forward to it. Just hope I can muddle thru the directions. :confused:

It sounds really interesting.

Can non-members bring plants for show & tell?

I'm looking forward to seeing you again and to meeting Ron.
Hey Susan,

I'm pretty sure you can bring plants for the show table if you aren't a member. I can double check tonight if I think of it.

I have a board meeting prior (from 10-11:30) so I'll be there early but probably will be in the meeting when you arrive. If you bring plants, make sure they are on the table and labelled with one of the little green slips (put your name on the back so we know who's plant it is) by 11:30 when they start the judging.

It's a pretty friendly bunch. Make sure you stop by the membership table and let them know you're a visitor. We like visitors! Oh, and lunch is usually served around 11:30-12:00.

Can't wait! I am really excited about this month's program. :)
 
D

dustywoman

Guest
Sounds like fun Heather.

I am looking forward to hearing Ron. Who knows, I might start growing Cyps!

Maine Orchid Society does not have any judges. Maybe I'll bring the PEOY and the besseae, just for the heck of it. I would not expect either of them to be pulled though.

Lunch too!!! Wow! Sounds good to me!
 

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
10,483
Reaction score
16
Location
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
dustywoman said:
Maine Orchid Society does not have any judges. Maybe I'll bring the PEOY and the besseae, just for the heck of it. I would not expect either of them to be pulled though.
The show table is just ribbon judging - just for fun, not AOS, though we occasionally have AOS judges doing the judging but they don't actually point the plants. AOS judging is the first Saturday of each month at Tower Hill Botanic Garden.
 

likespaphs

some call me brian
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
5,239
Reaction score
13
Location
Cape Cod
haha. he's gonna speak for us in may!
if y'all didn't meet during my work day, i probably would join....
 

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
10,483
Reaction score
16
Location
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Ron's presentation was excellent. I learned a lot and was very encouraged to learn how easy some of the hybrids are to grow. I might just have to look for a Gisela to try at GITW this spring. :)

It was nice to finally meet you, Ron, and to see Susan again as well. Was a great day, our show table, as usual, kicked ass.
 
D

dustywoman

Guest
Ribbons!!!!!

Well, I attended the NHOS meeting yesterday and was able to spend some time with Heather. The meeting was very well attended. I was impressed by the quantity and quality of all the plants on the show table. The judges were also very informative, as they would take each plant that they liked and explained why they liked it so much.

Heather's being modest!!!!:poke:

Heather won a second place prize for her besseae hybrid (I forget the name - sorry!), another second place for her besseae var. flavum, and a third place for her peach colored besseae. Beautifully grown plants! Way to go, Heather!!!! :clap: :clap:

Ron's presentation on Cyps was wonderful. He also had some great photos. One photo was of a clump of Cyps documented to be 100 years old. I never knew they could live so long. He also provided a list of where you could buy plants and/or seedlings. He's a great speaker. If anyone has a chance to see one of his presentations, you will not be disappointed!!!

Except for getting lost in Concord, NH (courtesy of Mapquest), it was an aternoon well spent and well worth the ride!!!!
 
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
342
Reaction score
10
Thank you very much Heather for getting me invited to speak at your society meeting - what a wonderful group of folks. I have been to orchid shows with fewer plants and the quality was spectacular! My favorites species of Phrag is besseae and Heather had some very nice specimens. I have peach and have admired photos of flavum - now that I have seen Heather's, I MUST get one! Hopefully I can find one at the New York city show this week.

If anyone is within driving distance of Manchester, NH, the society is exceptional!

Ron

dustywoman said:
Well, I attended the NHOS meeting yesterday and was able to spend some time with Heather. The meeting was very well attended. I was impressed by the quantity and quality of all the plants on the show table. The judges were also very informative, as they would take each plant that they liked and explained why they liked it so much.

Heather's being modest!!!!:poke:

Heather won a second place prize for her besseae hybrid (I forget the name - sorry!), another second place for her besseae var. flavum, and a third place for her peach colored besseae. Beautifully grown plants! Way to go, Heather!!!! :clap: :clap:

Ron's presentation on Cyps was wonderful. He also had some great photos. One photo was of a clump of Cyps documented to be 100 years old. I never knew they could live so long. He also provided a list of where you could buy plants and/or seedlings. He's a great speaker. If anyone has a chance to see one of his presentations, you will not be disappointed!!!

Except for getting lost in Concord, NH (courtesy of Mapquest), it was an aternoon well spent and well worth the ride!!!!
 

NYEric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
47,869
Reaction score
230
Location
New York City Apartment
dustywoman said:
Heather's being modest!!!!:poke:

Heather won a second place prize for her besseae hybrid (I forget the name - sorry!), another second place for her besseae var. flavum, and a third place for her peach colored besseae. Beautifully grown plants! Way to go, Heather!!!! :clap: :clap:
Well congrats, sounds like a fun time, I bet it made Heather's hair turn red!
 

Latest posts

Top