rescued Paph randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polyantha

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Here is the story of my totally rootless Paph randsii:

What happened so far:

P. randsii received: Feb 20th 2011

randsii1.jpg

The plant had no roots. To avoid dehydration i wrapped wet tissue paper around the leaves and heated the pot up to 30°C:

paphrandsii1.jpg

May 16th 2011 (3 months later) : First root starting to grow:

paphrandsii.jpg

This was the only root for more than 3 months:

randsii1.jpg

Aug 28th 2011 (3.5 months later / 6 months since the beginning) : Two new roots starting to grow:

randsii3.jpg

In December 2011 the leaves started to grow. That´s almost one year after i received the plant. Here you can see how long it takes for a plant to recover from a shock like this. For plants the loose of roots is a dilemma: they have to do photosynthesis to get energy, but if they do so, they also loose water because they have to open the stomata (leaf-pores). They have to manage the problem not to starve and at the same time keeping the evaporation low.

Thats how the plant looked like in Aug 28th 2011:

randsii4.jpg

And this is how it looks now:

img20121025151011.jpg

Lots of new roots:

img20121025151026.jpg

The new growth has developed in quite a short time for a plant that was so weak. I treat this plant like all the others now. Same fertilizer, light and temperature.

Yanik

With a plastic container, expanded clay and a heating cable.
Install a heating cable at the bottom of a plastic container. Fill the container 10-15 cm with wet expanded clay.

That is a great rescue. I do find it using a flat with a dome tray with heat mat with great results. The only thing I'm worried about using that is that there is no air circulation so I rigged up a 12v computer fan and wire it to a 12v ac adapter.

Now for big plants. Not sure what to do since it's bigger and wont fit in the dome. Maybe I need to purchase an aquarium but I'm afraid that that might lead to another hobby.

I use the small fish tank for bigger plants. I put them on a pot to raise them upand when I water the water sits in the bottom and makes high humidity. Works pretty well. I use large tupperware containers for small plants with clear lids under lights.

Good save on the randsii. The new growth looks great. You must be proud. I would not let that plant die either. Now you will never get rid of it because of all the effort you put into it.

Great effort. That's one lucky plant. Just imagine how many more paphs in a similar state die. I can't wait to see the blooms.

Great effort. That's one lucky plant. Just imagine how many more paphs in a similar state die. I can't wait to see the blooms.

So very true. By the way JPMC how is your randsii doing? Any signs of blooming yet?

Wow! I'm amazed that you managed to nurse it back to health! I can't wait to see it bloom for you someday! Please post pictures when that happens.

Wow! Incredible job. I have given up on my fair share of orchids in similar conditions.

Actually, to me this is the sort of stuff that belongs in ORCHIDS just for everyone to reconsider what they know. Had you showed me only the first picture I'd have told you "There's no way"!, or "not worth the time and effort!"....

Eric,
You killed more than 50% of your plan already LOL
BD

So very true. By the way JPMC how is your randsii doing? Any signs of blooming yet?

I'm hoping for a bloom next spring. My collection was hit by an attack of microscopic mites in 2009-2010. They're recovering and the randsii is now looking like it may bloom this spring. I have not seen it bloom since 2008 so I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back