Quintessential Paph. and Phrag. species?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for your responses.

This is for a short power point presentation I am doing for our show's educational presentations. So, I need to limit my slides to about 10-15 at the most. As much as I would love to showcase every slipper there is, I cannot, though I will have photos at the end of some hybrids as well.

My plan is to walk the group over to Glen Decker's booth at the end of the talk, so we can continue to educate and view some plants and flowers in person.

These people could be complete novices or people who are just slipper novices (or maybe (hopefully?) no one will attend!) I want to both WOW them (hence the quintessential question), and make them realize they can grow them fairly easily in the home. Glen will have plenty of good novice plants for sale, no matter which type of novice they might be.

Currently looking for good in situ photos....if you know of any, let me know...

Since roth. is going to be featured in my "how do they grow in nature" slide (my avatar - poster from last year's Orchid Conservation Org.) I will switch my quint. paph image from roth. to phil. I think it is probably a good thought.

Interesting discussion. I don't tend to be a fan of the "what's your favorite (insert type here) paph" threads, but I wanted more perspectives than my own on this and was really fascinated by the discussion that went on because of it and the reasons behind the responses. Thank you - and keep it going if you still have opinions, please!

I have some 35mm cyp photos I could scan and share with you if you like. As always, pm or email me. I'm hoping to head back this year to my favorite sites with my new digital macro capabilities...finally had to break down since the right lens for my good rangefinder was out of the question for now.

This thread took an interesting turn when 'beginner' came into it. I basically agree with other recommendations BUT wouldn't lieminianum need to be considered? I, as a beginner, was a windowsill grower. I had every exposure but in the house the humidity requirements need to be considered also. It does not have high light demands, it has pretty foliage when not in bloom & once it starts blooming, it's always in bloom! ????
Species are specified BUT aren't there many hybrids that are easier?

I think looking at cocholpetalums in general is a good idea for beginners(except victoria-mariae). They are pretty tolerant and they can stay in bloom forever once they are up and running.

Robin - that'd be great! You're still on my short list - btw. - I have not forgotten!

Rick - yeah, I agree, but they're ugly. :( Sorry, I hate them! I'm not sure I can get over that bias. I will try to think about getting over it for one day and include at least one photo. They ARE easy and REWARDING. (blech!)

Robin - that'd be great! You're still on my short list - btw. - I have not forgotten!

Rick - yeah, I agree, but they're ugly. :( Sorry, I hate them! I'm not sure I can get over that bias. I will try to think about getting over it for one day and include at least one photo. They ARE easy and REWARDING. (blech!)

Well they are not at the top of my list for looks either, but I decided that if I was going to be a Paph grower, I ought to grow a bit of everything from the different groups. And after a while they became fairly rewarding while waiting for roth and sanderianums to bloom.:eek:

Latest posts

Back